A lot of chicks in with adults?

texaspoontappa

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2019
Southwest Michigan
Hi! I've had my current flock of 9 hens for the last year, but I now have twenty some chicks that are 4 weeks old. I am trying to prepare for when I integrate them. What age is best to put the chicks in with adults? I have the 9 hens in a small prefab coop right now and am finishing up building a big new coop for all the chickens. Would it be a good idea to put the 9 hens into the new coop at the same time as the chicks so that it is new to all the chickens? What are your tips for integrating that many chicks into an existing smaller flock? Thanks in advance, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can to try to avoid any avoidable mistakes :)

Hi! I've had my current flock of 9 hens for the last year, but I now have twenty some chicks that are 4 weeks old. I am trying to prepare for when I integrate them. What age is best to put the chicks in with adults? I have the 9 hens in a small prefab coop right now and am finishing up building a big new coop for all the chickens. Would it be a good idea to put the 9 hens into the new coop at the same time as the chicks so that it is new to all the chickens? What are your tips for integrating that many chicks into an existing smaller flock? Thanks in advance, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can to try to avoid any avoidable mistakes :)
Hello we are novices at best buy just relay our experience. We have 8 hens and one very protective rooster. Three of the hens went broody at almost the same time for their first time. As a result 13 chicks were hatched and we did not have any issues having them altogether from the beginning.

Because you are adding more chicks, to less hens, that helps in my opinion. I would add them sooner than later.

I would set up the run with lots of hide outs, platforms on low bricks, one way gates, where big birds can't fit through, mini walls and several feed stations. I too would put the new chicks in for a couple of days, and I would go into the run, and give little mock chases, so they figure out the safe zones.

Then I would add the hens all at once late in the day on the night before a week-end, then I would get down there early in the morning, just to make sure, and keep a close eye for a couple of days.

I would expect some chasing, some pecks to mind your manners, I would expect the chicks to sleep in a huddled mass on the floor. I would expect the chicks to be a sub flock until they lay, but I would not expect any single bird to take a majority of the pecking.

Once in a while you will get an old girl that just is not having this, if so, lock her up in a dog carrier and let the rest work it out. After a week, if she fits in with the flock keep her, if not, send her down the road.

Mrs K

We have 8 hens and one very protective rooster. Three of the hens went broody at almost the same time for their first time. As a result 13 chicks were hatched and we did not have any issues having them altogether from the beginning.
That's because broody hens integrate the chicks into the flock from hatch....not at all the same as purchased or incubated chicks.

@sourland and @Mrs. K have given you some great tips.
Dimensions and pics of the new coop(and run?) might help us offer more specific suggestions.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @texaspoontappa
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-6-17_7-17-32.png

That's because broody hens integrate the chicks into the flock from hatch....not at all the same as purchased or incubated chicks.

@sourland and @Mrs. K have given you some great tips.
Dimensions and pics of the new coop(and run?) might help us offer more specific suggestions.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @texaspoontappa
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1816053

Hi! I didn't know you could add that to your profile, I'm new I live in Southwest Michigan. My coop is 100 SQ. Ft and my run is not up yet, but will be 400 SQ. Ft. I don't have pics of the coop yet.

Because you are adding more chicks, to less hens, that helps in my opinion. I would add them sooner than later.

I would set up the run with lots of hide outs, platforms on low bricks, one way gates, where big birds can't fit through, mini walls and several feed stations. I too would put the new chicks in for a couple of days, and I would go into the run, and give little mock chases, so they figure out the safe zones.

Then I would add the hens all at once late in the day on the night before a week-end, then I would get down there early in the morning, just to make sure, and keep a close eye for a couple of days.

I would expect some chasing, some pecks to mind your manners, I would expect the chicks to sleep in a huddled mass on the floor. I would expect the chicks to be a sub flock until they lay, but I would not expect any single bird to take a majority of the pecking.

Once in a while you will get an old girl that just is not having this, if so, lock her up in a dog carrier and let the rest work it out. After a week, if she fits in with the flock keep her, if not, send her down the road.

Mrs K
I will definitely try this advice out, thank you! What age do you think I should move the chicks out to the new coop? It's been about mid 60s at night where I am. Also I'm worried about adding the hens in with the littles because I heard another chicken keeper say they will kill them if you put them together too early. When should I put them together?

I have three new ones that I raised from 2 days old I kept them in brooder until 6 weeks then put them in small coop inside hen yard separated with their own food and water for ten days so that they could see one another then mixed with other hens experienced no problems except a peck to get away. Kept them on their medicated chick feed until 12 weeks. then let them eat Purina crumbles with older hens, everyone doing great. Hope this helps, Phil

Back
Top Bottom