A LOT of questions about my poor Buff Orphington’s foot!

Razzy101

Hatching
Jun 25, 2018
So I have goats and chickens that live in the same pen and I think that one of the goats may have stepped on Penny’s left foot, my Buff Orphington, and was wondering if anyone knew if it was broken or how to fix it! She was walking with a limp, but yesterday she gave up walking altogether. I separated her from the others so that she didn’t try to roost and gave her some baby aspirin for the pain. Here are some of my questions...
1. Is it broken??
2. Should I take her to the vet for an X-ray or try to treat it for MUCH less money??
3. Should she continue to sleep without the others??
4. Should I keep giving her a dose of baby aspirin at night??
5. What should I do?? Let it heal and keep her resting?? Just put her back in with the others??
6. How long does it usually take for chickens to recover from foot and leg injuries naturally??
Sorry for all the questions. If anyone could answer all of them or just one, that would be awesome! Thx!
Just tell me if you want more pictures and if you want them of both feet together or whatever would help you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 7
You should check for bumble foot. If there is a scab like thing on the bottom of her foot look up how to remove it. I had a chick who suffered a leg injury for about 6 weeks. I don't know what had caused it but she is now walking around normally. I didn't have to do anything but wait XD.

You should check for bumble foot. If there is a scab like thing on the bottom of her foot look up how to remove it. I had a chick who suffered a leg injury for about 6 weeks. I don't know what had caused it but she is now walking around normally. I didn't have to do anything but wait XD.
That's what I was thinking. Can you post a pic of the bottom of her foot.

Check for bumblefoot, if no signs then next step is to check for a break.
If an avian vet is an option for you, then that is always best, if it is not you can try on your own.
If you gently manipulate her toes and foot and compare with the uninjured foot you should be able to tell if it's broken. If you locate a break then you can try splinting it depending on where it is. There are a lot of little bones in the toes. It may not be broken, just sprained or bruised badly and rest and time will be all it needs. Birds break toes a fair amount, and some heal crooked, and they usually do just fine.
If she is not able to put weight on it then I would not put her with the other birds. I would crate her, preferably in the run with the other birds so they can still see each other, but so that she is protected. Let her rest and minimize her movements to let it heal. If its just a bruise/sprain then you will probably see improvement in a few days. If there is a fracture, it may take weeks to heal. You can also try soaking her foot in epsom salts for about 20 minutes daily to help with pain and swelling.

If you're absolutely sure it's not bumblefoot (and a pic would definitely help,) then she may well have injured it. When it comes to injuries like broken toes, chickens have amazing recuperative powers. Try keeping her quiet and semi-isolated for a couple of weeks. Your hen will likely stress less if she has some quiet company, so if you have another calm lady, try keeping them both somewhere they can be seen but not touched by the rest of the flock. Be sure to give her a choice of perches - flat (like a 2x4 or roost board) and round (a 3-4" diameter branch.) That will help avoid her toe "freezing" in one position - built-in physical therapy!

Ok. So I don’t have a pic of the bottom of her foot because it looks the same as the other one and the ones of the rest of my flock and I’m pretty sure it’s a bad sprain. She has gotton up to get her food and water so I don’t think it’s broken. There is a little bit of swelling on the middle toe and at one point I even tried to take a look at her hip and it seemed like that was hurting too. I might wait until the end of this week and see how she is and if it’s gotton any worse I’ll get her an X-ray. I’ve been giving her the baby aspirin crushed and sprinkled over cherries so I think she is happy. I also have brought in other hens to see her so that she doesn’t get lonely and bored. She did try to walk when I brought her out of the cage onto my porch. So I think that’s a good sign. Not sure if there is another step that I should be taking?? Thanks for all of your ideas! I’ve incorperated all of your ideas into one big “grand plan”❤️Thanks so much for your support!

Back
Top Bottom