A&M laying age

Discussion in 'Quail' started by drowe005, Jan 18, 2013.

1. drowe005

drowe005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Corapeake NC
    I bought some Texas A&M back in november and all were 4-6 weeks of age at the time. Now 2 months later, still only one hen lays an egg. It is possible all the birds that were sold to me as hens are really roos? Or do they take that long sometimes? I thought they were supposed to start laying around 6 weeks average. Currently, all the birds are over 14 weeks old.

2. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    *Sigh* No one understands.

If they have Coturnix anywhere in their name then IT DOESN'T MATTER, A & M, Tuxedo, Pharoah, ARE ALL COTURNIX. THESE ARE JUST DIFFERENT COLOURS (Yes, I'm Canadian, deal with it).

I don't know why it is taking that long they should start laying at 6-8 maybe temp is too low/high or they aren't getting 14 hours of sunlight (must for breeding season), try vent sexing em and/or post pics. Also, quail should lay around 4-6 eggs a week, young ones lay more, they shouldn't be laying every single day. Have you seen any mating? Crowing?

Sorry, i typed in CAPS it just came out that way, people think just 'cause they look different (still Cots) they are different.

Also, what bedding do you have them on? (When i had em on newspaper they wouldn't lay, but i'm not sure if i had em at 14 hours or not, hmm...)

Medicated feed?

Check water contamination too.

3. drowe005

Mar 20, 2012
    Corapeake NC
    They're on wire, with wheat straw on part of the floor. The birds are banded, so I know it's the same one laying everyday, one a day since beginning of December. Currently I've only seen 2 crow. And they're eating purina gamebird layena. Also, the sun rises her at 7 am, and I leave lights on till 930 at night, so they're definately getting the right amount of light.

The ways it's been going with them recently not laying, I'd just prefer just stick to my Mearns and Mountain quail during breeding season, as they're guaranteed to lay then and pay for themselves with ease. These coturnix so far seem to be a failure, as I'm just putting money into them and getting nothing back out of em; I was hoping to have a small scale supplemental meat supply from them for the winter time, and go back to the chukars for meat in the breeding season. But I guess as do a bunch of things, not much goes as planned.

4. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I dislike the whites tuxedos and british range Coturnix. To hard to sex. Iwas given 3 white hens they SEEMED to be hens for the longest time. No crowing no skirt chasing...... They were males. They are laying fools. Mine are on the ground in a fabic greenhouse it is below freezing and Iam getting a doz eggs most days. Mine hated wire and I will never put them back on it. They scratch around bury themselves fly. Happy birds = Eggz

5. drowe005

Mar 20, 2012
    Corapeake NC
    Well, I've finally figured it out now. Out of 9 birds, it was supposed to be 1 male, 8 females. Come to find out as of now, 1 hen, 8 males. Nice

6. Quailraiser22

Quailraiser22 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    North east oklahoma
    Thats not good, i could sell you some eggs possibly once mine start laying near march if you plan on having coturnix quail i recommend you get the regular ones or jumbo brown they are much easier to sex

7. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I always buy eggs and hatch my own. And only from an NPIP facility. James Marie deals in Texas A&M eggs. There are only 2 places locally I will deal with and they are clean freaks and hatch their own too I am not worried about transfering yuck from their places.

8. CuriousQuail

CuriousQuail Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Los Angeles
    My AMs started laying 6 weeks in. Only one hen started laying around 10 weeks. NO IDEA WHY! Just may be a late bloomer.

9. Quailandpigeonguy

Quailandpigeonguy New Egg

Jun 2, 2017
    So coturnix and a&m are the same thing? Just different color variations ?

10. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Yep

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by