A&m Quail

Quote:
Can you tell me at what age the A&M start laying? I was going to go with the Coturnix because they start laying at about 7 weeks. But, prefer to get the A&M if they are white meat.

Quote:
A&M's are Coturnix. 7 weeks is about right with my last hatch.

I still think the white meat thing is a myth. No one here has ever been able to prove it.

ok I have got to go see what is in my fridge I will be right back but I swear it is white meat or at least much whiter than the others, if I cant find one I will cull 2 tonight just to make a comparison.
smile.png

Doesn't the darkness of the meat have anything to do with how much exercise the birds get? I would think that the ones that are penned up where they can't move would be whiter meat than the ones that are able to free-range and flap around a little more. The meat on the A&Ms is lighter than some, and they're certainly bigger (the ones I took to the fair topped out at 15 ounces) than the normal coturnix, but I wouldn't think that ANY flying bird would be 100% white meat.
idunno.gif
Just an out-loud train of thought.

BTW... they're pretty darn tasty sprinkled with seasonings and roasted over an open fire.
wink.png
I'm just saying...

Processed my first 4 (out of 24) A&M pharoahs last night.... as previously noted, only 2 of the birds are white; the rest are brown, so I guess that they have interbred over time...

I found the meat to be between somewhere between the white and dark meat of a chicken, but with a really sweet taste; not as strong a flavor as duck, but not bland like chicken.

Now I just need some more chicks to start the process all over again, as my DH can't wait to process the rest of the birds!!!!

Quote:
A&M's are Coturnix. 7 weeks is about right with my last hatch.

I still think the white meat thing is a myth. No one here has ever been able to prove it.

I just figured that out
big_smile.png
, I am new to Quail, only because DH has decided he wants to get some to eat. I have never eaten it, but have tried pheasant and well...
yuckyuck.gif

So, I am looking for one that doesn't take like pheasant.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry just as I headed to the kitchen the heating guy showed up. Anyway I am going to process a pharaoh tonight because I think what is in the frige is an A&M although I did not take a close look....

as for all white meat i should take that back they are more like a chicken in that the breast is white and the legs are darker, but the legs are not as dark as the pharaoh legs.

Camera is also charging Hopefully I will have pics by this evening.

update, I just could not find the time.... ended up making sausage and peppers for dinner as a quickie, tomorro, maybe tonight if ds goes to bed ontime
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom