A Method for Sexing Chicks

Tacampbell1973

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2013
Washington State
Top of the evening everyone. I just wanted to share something a lady told me that has been around and owns chickens for years....She said that on extremely young chicks you can carefully hold them upside down by the legs and the males will put up a fight but the little girls will just hang there limp. Has anyone else heard this. She showed me and sure enough I saw it happen, although I guess if you held any bird upside down long enough it would tire and hang limp, and I thought it a little barbaric at first, but like I said you have to be gentle. But I have 11 babies and am curious to try this so I can band them accordingly.....BTW I am looking at these babies and had I not seen their parents with my own two eyes I would never suspect them to be Guinea Keets. They look exactly like a lot of chicken chickys that I have seen....

those bright orange feet give them away. i allso have heard about sexing chicks by the fight thats in them but a kinder way to do this is just pick them up by their back if feet dangle and calm, female. if they kick them up in the air, male. my mother does this and she is about 75% right but i still think its bull. haha

those bright orange feet give them away. i allso have heard about sexing chicks by the fight thats in them but a kinder way to do this is just pick them up by their back if feet dangle and calm, female. if they kick them up in the air, male. my mother does this and she is about 75% right but i still think its bull. haha

holding them by the legs upside down may cause leg injurys

We've heard variations on this hundreds of times. It works!

50% of the time.

Please think about this. If these methods actually worked, wouldn't the huge hatcheries use them instead of paying vent sexers?

I have heard of the feet dangling method and tried it it works about 25% of the time.
roll.png

We tried the washer on a string method and it was 100%....wrong
barnie.gif
We even wrote down if the washer indicated male or female and out of nine chicks, every single one of them indicated the exact opposite of what they are, all the 'circles' were boys and both the 'straight lines' were girls. My daughter suggested that maybe it works the opposite way in chickens - ha! It was good fun anyway. We will have to try the dangling leg method next time to see if we have better luck that way.

Back
Top Bottom