A Mille Fleur D'Uccle Conundrum

Cycomiko

Songster
5 Years
May 27, 2017
Western Maryland
I recently hatched 4 out of 12 shipped Mille Fleur D'Uccle eggs. Unfortunately 3 are cockerels, and even more so, the lone pullet is all white! I spoke with the breeder I got the eggs from and she said that she has a hen that produces a white one from time to time. She is very beautiful, but I'm wondering if I breed her back to one of the cockerels will the outcome include mille fleurs? If so, would they have more white to them?
I haven't decided which cockerel we'll keep, maybe even 2 of them, as we have a frizzle, one that doesn't have the flashiest pattern, but is tufted and is alertive, caring and quiet! The last one is flashy, he knows it, and loves to crow (without tufts). He's going as soon as we find a home for him.
IMG_20190728_155439283-01.jpeg
IMG_20190728_155511329-01.jpeg

IMG_20190902_065451896-01.jpeg
IMG_20190902_065429205-01.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20190728_155402932_HDR-01.jpeg
    IMG_20190728_155402932_HDR-01.jpeg
    705.3 KB · Views: 13
Mille Fleurs take at least a year to show their true colors, or, "look flashy".
With a beard, and with barely noticeable wattles, they are d'Uccles; without a beard, and with pronounced wattles, they are Booted Bantams. I think in the photo with two cockerels, the one on the left may be a frizzle.

A white d'Uccle could be a sport. She can be shown either as a white or as a sport.

Mille Fleurs take at least a year to show their true colors, or, "look flashy".
With a beard, and with barely noticeable wattles, they are d'Uccles; without a beard, and with pronounced wattles, they are Booted Bantams. I think in the photo with two cockerels, the one on the left may be a frizzle.

A white d'Uccle could be a sport. She can be shown either as a white or as a sport.
Yes, definitely a frizzle, then one bearded and one that's not. The one that's not will be moving on. Good to know they continue to flower. And the comparison. Thanks.

I bred d'Uccle mille fleur for exhibition, and none of those birds, even the pullet, are remotely worth breeding.
Way too many faults.

IMG_20190730_202908989.jpg
I bred d'Uccle mille fleur for exhibition, and none of those birds, even the pullet, are remotely worth breeding.
Way too many faults.

Maybe. Depends on what you are breeding them for. Mine are quite dedicated parents. I am including a photo of them and of the five standard size Crevecoeur and Easter Egger chicks they raised this summer.

The booted guy in the original pictures looks a lot like my first place booted in the Missouri State Fair a few years back.

There is a great classic book for breeding called, Start Where You Are With What You Have, by Walt Leonard. You can get it at the American Bantam Association (ABA) web store.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 1902251

Maybe. Depends on what you are breeding them for. Mine are quite dedicated parents. I am including a photo of them and of the five standard size Crevecoeur and Easter Egger chicks they raised this summer.

The booted guy in the original pictures looks a lot like my first place booted in the Missouri State Fair a few years back.

There is a great classic book for breeding called, Start Where You Are With What You Have, by Walt Leonard. You can get it at the American Bantam Association (ABA) web store.
Thanks. I'm not looking to breed them for show, they were intended more for parenting like you said and some backyard flair. My intended post was to question getting the Mille Fleur back. They are fun to watch. Great looking family you posted.

Thanks. I'm not looking to breed them for show, they were intended more for parenting like you said and some backyard flair. My intended post was to question getting the Mille Fleur back. They are fun to watch. Great looking family you posted.
You might get the mille fleur back, but it won't give you more white. They get that as they age.

Back
Top Bottom