a mink attacked my ducks

How is she this morning? And you did the mink come back after dark?
she was able to extend her neck this morning! and she seemed to have a little more energy. she was trying to eat her feed but was struggling so i mashed it up in warm water for her and she ate a little of it.

the mink live trap went off in the middle of the night but it must have been a malfunction because i saw it go off and didn’t see anything. i was out side sitting in a chair with them most of the night, so it didn’t come but hopefully it won’t come again anytime soon. they won’t go into a enclosure though so that’s a little worrying

last night, around 5am, i heard some quite noises coming from my ducks, which is weird at this hour. I decided to go check and found my one female duck with a mink on top of her. i ran over and grabbed the closest thing i could see and hit the mink with it. it ran under my deck, and i went to check on my female duck. when i went to corner the mink he had disappeared back into the woods. he tried dragging the duck into the pond, i dove in and pulled her out, hitting him in the process but probably didn’t do much damage.

anyhow, my female duck is badly injured around the neck/head area. i wish i could have gotten out sooner to check. something felt off, and i couldn’t tell why. i was wondering if anyone could help me or give me tips on what i should do with her. she was inside all morning but looked like she had energy to be re introduced to the other ducks. i let her out and she’s been sitting alone but she follows them when they move. she seems tired and maybe a little sad? i’m not sure what to do, she won’t eat and i haven’t seen her drink. ill
insert photos to help show what i mean !

GRAPHIC PHOTOS OF INJURY !!!
I'm so sorry for your little ducky. We had a mink come into our yard and kill our beloved Lola. I will never forget it. I didn't even know we had minks until the devastation. Minx are opportunistic hunters and kill just for the fun of it. They will attack an animal and just drink the blood and leave it. Our Lola was ripped apart at the neck when I found her. The mink came back a short time later and attacked another duck and left a bad wound on her neck but we brought her inside and cleaned her wounds as best as we could and then I put her in an isolation cage where she was safe but still outside with her friends. She was in shock for several days but eventually returned to eating and drinking. As long as you get the wound clean I would say she will most likely make it. You need to make sure your duck enclosure is completely safe at night and that no predator can get in. We ended up killing the mink that attacked our ducks, and then used the scent gland in a con- a- bear trap to catch its mate. We have not had any trouble since. Good luck to you and put some measures in place so your ducks can rest safely and you can rest peacefully knowing they are safe.

This happened several years ago and that duck has passed. She did not pass away from the attack though. The mink certainly did scare her and she was shocky for a couple days but she recovered. I hope yours does well, too.

Back
Top Bottom