A Mixed Chicken ... Who Knew?

The girls are dominant white, & it's actually possible for the parents of the birds to carry both dominant white, & recessive white genes.

If the cockerel has any leakage, he's most likely dominant white also. I can't tell from the photo of him though.
I think I’ll give up on genetics. I’m getting too old to start this type of extensive learning again. For whatever reason, I’ve just got a mental block on this subject, even though I want to learn it so bad.

Thank you for explaining this to me.

@MysteryChicken, if you wouldn’t mind appeasing me, I would like to show you my questions a little more in-depth. Here is my cross bred boy and the father of all my chicks hatched this year. He is 1/2 Welsummer and 1/2 Barred Rock.
184DF3B9-C693-4154-8C3C-7C6163E088F0.jpeg

Here are five cockerels from his last hatch, out of two BCM, a Partridge Cochin, a BR, and an EE. Barring is evident in all but maybe the first one.
FD579AB3-32D1-4191-9F7E-BBEE970868FE.jpeg
524901B7-0073-4B5F-8F5A-94E570549DA3.jpeg
FA9E5973-9A05-426D-AF04-0BF024EDB6C2.jpeg
7C795111-0275-47EE-84BA-F365578ABB51.jpeg
F3C5BE4C-A7CA-42CF-967E-C79FB06EBCE1.jpeg

Here are two cockerels from earlier hatches this year, out of a Welsummer and a Barred Rock. Notice the cockerel from the BR has very little red/gold coloring.
D940A41A-5A83-4034-BB88-3A1684A461A3.jpeg
9FFBCF31-3C05-4F0E-A8FD-7B82EA1EF647.jpeg

And lastly is the one that sparked my original question and his full sibling (both pictured above).

As evidenced in both cockerels from the BR and the one from the WR, the coloring from the Welsummer did not come through, leaving them mostly looking like their mother. But the majority of his chicks showed color. IDK, heck, I have no clue and am just rambling now.

I'm having fun with white chickens as well and need to look into whether mine are dominant or recessive white.
20201112_170247.jpg

Hes got one streak of black in his longest tail feather and a little bit of off-white on his sides (or hes always dirty, no idea). I assume the white came from these lovely spangled gamehens
20201116_152003.jpg

I have a matching white hen and I'm thinking about breeding the two whites together to see what happens.

The reason the rooster is siring so many different colors of chicks is because of his own mix of genes. He's got one copy of every gene a Welsummer has, and one copy of every gene a Barred Rock has.

So some chicks get the Welsummer genes, some get the Barred Rock genes, and some get a mixture.

Plus the chicks get whatever genes come from their mother, which further changes what colors you will see.

If the rooster who sired any of the offspring was Barred, all offspring will be barred.

If the rooster is PURE for the barred gene, then yes he passes it to all his chicks.
If he has only one copy of the barring gene (from the Barred Rock parent), then he passes it to about half of his chicks. That's exactly what I see happening--some barred chicks, some not.

Last edited:
The reason the rooster is siring so many different colors of chicks is because of his own mix of genes. He's got one copy of every gene a Welsummer as, and one copy of every gene a Barred Rock has.

So some chicks get the Welsummer genes, some get the Barred Rock genes, and some get a mixture.

Plus the chicks get whatever genes come from their mother, which further changes what colors you will see.

If the rooster is PURE for the barred gene, then yes he passes it to all his chicks.
If he has only one copy of the barring gene (from the Barred Rock parent), then he passes it to about half of his chicks. That's exactly what I see happening--some barred chicks, some not.
Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom