A month of waiting pays off - the chicks have arrived!

Big_Charlie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Fulton, KY
I started to get worried when the PO didn't call at 4am like I expected them to, but they came through a couple of hours later. These little girls are a total hoot to watch, and the chirping is really kinda' therapeutic. My almost 3-year old son thinks these chicks hung the moon. He didn't want to go to preschool this morning, he wanted to stay and play with the chicks. I got them all from Cackle Hatchery, and so far I'm very pleased. They all seem very lively and healthy, they are eating and drinking well, no pasty butt. The funniest thing is watching them peck at the thermometer. I can't even get a good temp reading because they're all crowding around and on top of it to peck at the shiny cover.

IvebeenwaitingforthissinceIhatched.jpg

My kiddo was so excited to see his "baby chicks".
Howexciting.jpg

And here's my 4'x8' brooder/grower that I have affectionately named Megabrooder:
MegaBrooder2.jpg

There are 5 pullets of each of the following: Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, Black Australorp, Araucana, New Hampshire Red, and RIR. I haven't entirely figured out which ones are which yet. But no bonus chicks for me...
hmm.png

Big Charlie

Those little chicks are so cute. We have 12 4 day old RIR's and we'll be getting a dozen Golden Red's next week.

I love the brooder you have. All I have is a box and a plastic tub. Maybe later I can build one bigger.

Have fun watching the little chicks play around.
jumpy.gif

I got them from Cackle Hatcher in Missouri. They were geographically closest to me, and our local Rural King had great success getting its chicks from them this year. Out of thousands of chicks, Rural King had almost no deaths.

Big Charlie

those chicks are just way to cute.an i love your brooder.its nice an roomy.that will keep the chicks a good while.the smile an excitement on your sons face is priceless.

Back
Top Bottom