A mutt chick named Miracle...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jossanne, May 18, 2011.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've got 5 chicks that hatched under a broody this week, which is always so exciting! None of them are pure anything, so it will be fun to see what they turn into.

Anyway, yesterday morning I went out to check on mama and babies, and one of the chicks had gotten out of the nest box in the night and couldn't get back up into it. I found it stretched out on the ground, cold and completely stiff, apparently dead. I couldn't detect any breathing, and I held it up to my ear to see if I could hear any faint peeping but it was silent. Its eyes were set and not moving. We were on our way to town, so I put it down in the bottom of a big plastic garbage bin where it would be safe from the cats and other chickens, so I could take care of it when we got home. [​IMG]

About four hours later when we were unloading the car at home I hear this desperate peeping, and I headed toward the coop to check on the babies. As I passed the garbage can I realized the sound was coming from inside of it. The little "dead" chick was up on its feet, peeping desperately. I picked it up, and it was all warm and active. When I put it back with mama it quickly scooted underneath her. Now it's the most active, hungry baby of the bunch. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears! So of course its name had to be Miracle. [​IMG]

To top off this chicky experience, I had one chick that I completely hatched out of the egg myself. It was 36 hours after the rest when I picked into the shell and detected movement. So I left it for a few hours, and there was no progress. I couldn't bear to see it die, so yesterday evening I just opened the shell up carefully and set the baby under mama. An hour or so later I went out to check and the poor thing was all cold and nearly dead. I thought that maybe I should put it out of its misery, but I thought about Miracle and decided to stick baby under mama again and give it a chance. You should see it this afternoon! It's all fluffy and cute and improving! It's starting to get up onto its feet, and is eating and drinking. I am calling this one Survivor.

Chickens amaze me! No matter how many chicks I have, I never tire of watching the new little ones hatch, and the experiences I've had are priceless. Go Miracle and Survivor Go!! [​IMG]

2. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Woohoo!!

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    [​IMG] very cool! I bet the sun warmed up the garbage can and made him feel better [​IMG]

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Great stories! [​IMG] Just goes to show, "Never give up, never surrender!"

Thanks for saving those babies. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Thanks for sharing that happy story!!! I love a happy ending!!!

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    chickens are the toughest animals i know [​IMG] good luck with your babies [​IMG]

7. doramechicks

doramechicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Dalton Gardens Idaho
    What a great story:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by