A mystery

carolwfuller

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2012
I have a small flock of 8 chickens. Their egg laying was finally up to an average of 5 a day. I left them for two weeks. The first week they were in their pen the whole time (two little dogs visiting). The second week they were allowed to free range again but they were quiet, hid all day. By the middle of week 1 they had stopped laying ands there have been no eggs since,. I know there is a possibility they are laying elsewhere. I haven't found it or heard any egg calls. Why in the world would all 8 of them have stopped laying? Too much corn trea from the caregivers? They got spooked? Any ideas an what should I do now?

I have a small flock of 8 chickens. Their egg laying was finally up to an average of 5 a day. I left them for two weeks. The first week they were in their pen the whole time (two little dogs visiting). The second week they were allowed to free range again but they were quiet, hid all day. By the middle of week 1 they had stopped laying ands there have been no eggs since,. I know there is a possibility they are laying elsewhere. I haven't found it or heard any egg calls. Why in the world would all 8 of them have stopped laying? Too much corn trea from the caregivers? They got spooked? Any ideas an what should I do now?
Stress from the change in their normal routine, you being a part of that.
Once they settle down and the excess treats are stopped, they should resume laying unless they have started to molt.

Thanks for all your ideas. I am going out several times a day to greet them so they know I am back. Not giving corn treats except a little to get them back in the coop for the night. They come out of hiding to see me but don't seem to head toward the nest as they used to do. Oh well, I will just wait and see. Chickens are nothing if not interesting

Back
Top Bottom