A new addition

whatmomwants

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 26, 2011
So our neighbors found a lone chicken wandering about their house and brought it to me thinking it was one of ours. She is absolutely beautiful and very sweet. We have put up lost chicken posters and asked around to other families that have chickens. We can't find her family. I would love to keep her but I have never tried to introduce an adult to my flock. I'm worried about diseases and not knowing what to worry about :)
Any advise on how to do this safely?
I have her in a separate coop by herself. She can see my girls and they go over to her coop when they are free ranging. She is eating and drinking well and has been laying everyday.
Thanks in advance
Lauire

I usually get a small mesh cage and put her in that in the other chooks cage (so a cage in a cage) then, after a day or so, I let the new chook out with the others, and watch to make sure she doesn't get beat up (they will beat her up a little, but if they get too nasty, take her out).

Hope that makes sense!

Last edited:
I don't think she will have a hard time adjusting to my girls I just don't want to harm my girls. She looks healthy but I really don't know what to look for.

If you check her over for lice, and worm her, that will kind of keep that bit under control but I have never really had any issues with other things, so I am sorry, but I can't help you anymore with that.
hmm.png
Sorry.

I would ring your local vets (or your nearest vet anyway, or your a local pet shop) if you have any more concerns.

Back
Top Bottom