A new hope for male chicks in the eggs industry.

I would describe this as breeding toward desired traits. In humans, it would be similar to two super-athletes (think Shaquille O’Neal and Serena Williams) having a child, and their child growing up and reproducing with another product of super-athletes. The result would hypothetically be a stronger, larger, more athletic human. Versus parents going and and scientists inserting and extracting certain DNA to “create” a super-athlete. One is naturally done, the other is created in a lab.

Well said.

If you have chicken that lay 200-300 annualy You already have an animal that has been changed genetically (yes, by selection and not by genetic engineering but still changed) the red and green jungle fowl lays 1-2 clutchs of 12-18 eggs.
I understand that. I'm not concerned about genetic selection. You could say humans change ourselves genetically in this way, because we partner up and choose who to mate with. Those who do not mate have their genetics go with them when they die. So on, and so forth.

I'm much more concerned about genetic engineering. We don't know the long-term repercussions of these types of things. Once we allow it in certain areas of life (like with baby chicks), it can easily slip into areas of human life and then we have people essentially ordering off a menu for what genes they want their babies to have. Then next thing you know we're trying to make it so humans can't die, amongst other things. A little genetic engineering can easily transform into scientists playing God. I'm not interested in that at all and don't think it would be good for humanity.

You would think they would have found out what caused this, before making their discovery known to the public.

Not necessarily, there are plenty of drugs that are currently used on humans that the mechanism of action is still unclear or unknown. That they produce the desired effect is apparently good enough for them to pass the approval process. 🤷‍♀️

I would describe this as breeding toward desired traits. In humans, it would be similar to two super-athletes (think Shaquille O’Neal and Serena Williams) having a child, and their child growing up and reproducing with another product of super-athletes. The result would hypothetically be a stronger, larger, more athletic human. Versus parents going in and scientists inserting and extracting certain DNA to “create” a super-athlete. One is naturally done, the other is created in a lab.
What you have described is the definition of " selection" that I have mentioned. Yes it is really different from genetic engineering that can cross the boundaries of species but in the end result they are not so different and they can change dramatically the genetic of a certain species.

Last edited:
Not necessarily, there are plenty of drugs that are currently used on humans that the mechanism of action is still unclear or unknown. That they produce the desired effect is apparently good enough for them to pass the approval process. 🤷‍♀️
Lithium in a bipolar disorder (Manic depression) for example.

Lithium in a bipolar disorder (Manic depression) for example.

True.
In fact, most psychiatric drugs came from a class of tranquilizers, and if you talk to people taking them their reported side effects sound like the result of sedation.
I won't go into my own experience here except to say that walking around half sedated doesn't help one rationally process to work through what's been happening.
It does help other people avoid enduring a patient's behavior.
But everyone wants to tout these experimental medications as a surefire cure 🙄

Last year it was reported that nursing homes have a super high incidence of schizophrenia diagnosis, even though initial presentation of the disorder occurs in individuals in their 20's at the latest.
These never before diagnosed elderly were simply demonstrating rebellious or troublesome behavior, as older people often tend to do.
The nursing homes have found that antipsychotic medications keep the elderly compliant.
This underscores my point about the mode of action of these medications.

Nursing Homes Schizophrenia Antipsychotics

21% Of Nursing Home Residents Have Been Prescribed Antipsychotic Drugs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom