Votes: 10 100.0%
  • a bad idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OldGuy43

Songster
8 Years
As some of you know we've got a new duck here at the ranch.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/621212/got-our-first-duck

She seems to be doing better. She is getting used to us and being handled. She doesn't seem to be in pain. The last time we changed her litter we just held her. This time we're considering bringing her inside and letting her swim in the bathtub for a little while under close supervision.

Good or bad idea? Please offer your opinion.

Last edited:
A swim in clean lukewarm water is very therapeutic for a duck!

It takes weight off the injured leg, improves circulation and strengthens the muscle. Probably reduces stress as well, and gives you a cleaner duck. Did I mention it´s so much fun? Good for people, too!

good idea , unless you dont have a curtain to keep the bath water in because ducks even hurt ones go postal when they get in warm water
wee.gif
; they are called water birds for a reason
pop.gif

Last edited:
EVERYDAY !

a duck without water is an abused duck.

They need to swim and be able to splash around. Thats how they clean themselves and it helps spread the oil. A bath will also rinse off any poo thats stuck to feathers although thats minimal.

Has the ducks leg been set and stabilized? I keep hearing ":lame" and recall you saying it was broken, but has anyone actually set the leg or given the bird medical attention? Because its possible if the leg is badly damaged that the duck could loose it...tissue dies, it cannot heal and regrow the bone, and it has to be taken off. Thats not really possible on a duck. I'm hoping that the leg has been set and treated somehow, so its at least stable so it has a chance of healing. Otherwise the poor duck will be un-necessarily crippled if it is able to survive the injury without treatment. Ducks are resiliant but broken bones DO need to be set and aided,. they walk on them and they don;t have a magic wand to heal broken bones. We know to not put weight on a bad leg, a duck has NO choice. It will try to walk when its dying. They can;t say "it hurts" or "please help me"..

Baths are good for exercise, cleanliness and health. Don;t freak out over duck poo in the bath water. it happens almost instantly. They let it go when they are nervous and as they relax. Just give her a good rinse when you're ready to take her out and she'll be fresh as a daisey. A shower massage is a good thing to have when a duck lives in your tub.
If you give her a hour in the tub each day she'll be a much happier duck and have better health.
There are no big secrets to good duck health...feed them greens with the bagged food, let them swim, always have clean water for drinking. Lots of attention and affection and your duck can live for many many yrs. I've heard fo 20 yr old ducks before. Many that are 10+.
I hope that your ducks leg is stable and healing...I hate to think of an animal suffering....I know too well what its like to walk around with broken bones. It hurts.

One of my ducks has a bum leg and in the watwr you would never know. Poor Fred let a 2 year old get too close to her when she was maybe 2 months old... She limps when she walks and deep snow is harder on her (i smash down or shovel a good flat spot for her in their favorite hangout spot). Ducks are flock birds so you might consider getting her a friend when she's able to move around better on her own.

Welcome to ducks. Oh, and get a shower curtain or your wife is gonna kill you for soaking EVERYTHING!

EVERYDAY !

a duck without water is an abused duck.

They need to swim and be able to splash around. Thats how they clean themselves and it helps spread the oil. A bath will also rinse off any poo thats stuck to feathers although thats minimal.

Has the ducks leg been set and stabilized? I keep hearing ":lame" and recall you saying it was broken, but has anyone actually set the leg or given the bird medical attention? Because its possible if the leg is badly damaged that the duck could loose it...tissue dies, it cannot heal and regrow the bone, and it has to be taken off. Thats not really possible on a duck. I'm hoping that the leg has been set and treated somehow, so its at least stable so it has a chance of healing. Otherwise the poor duck will be un-necessarily crippled if it is able to survive the injury without treatment. Ducks are resiliant but broken bones DO need to be set and aided,. they walk on them and they don;t have a magic wand to heal broken bones. We know to not put weight on a bad leg, a duck has NO choice. It will try to walk when its dying. They can;t say "it hurts" or "please help me"..

Baths are good for exercise, cleanliness and health. Don;t freak out over duck poo in the bath water. it happens almost instantly. They let it go when they are nervous and as they relax. Just give her a good rinse when you're ready to take her out and she'll be fresh as a daisey. A shower massage is a good thing to have when a duck lives in your tub.
If you give her a hour in the tub each day she'll be a much happier duck and have better health.
There are no big secrets to good duck health...feed them greens with the bagged food, let them swim, always have clean water for drinking. Lots of attention and affection and your duck can live for many many yrs. I've heard fo 20 yr old ducks before. Many that are 10+.
I hope that your ducks leg is stable and healing...I hate to think of an animal suffering....I know too well what its like to walk around with broken bones. It hurts.
my grandmas neibor had a indoor mallard drake that lived for 22 years she had it litter box trained and was her child but some how the duck broke his hip and they performed surgery on the hip and it made a full recovery but the surgery was $2,000

so it depends on how much time and money you are willing to spend on the duck right now i have a duck that has hurt one of her legs and will not use it and her other leg is also hurt but she will paddle a little with it. I brought her in the house today and put her in the bath tub (don't say anything my parents don't know
gig.gif
) and she seamed to enjoy it

hope she gets better asap

pretty bird, yes make sure the bathtub curtain or door is closed or your bathroom will look all wet and the bathtub will be out of water.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom