A new respect for cows UPDATE!! Post #1

Quote:
I haven't heard, but I doubt she made it. She was in pretty rough shape.
sad.png

I'll ask about her when the farmer comes to buy eggs this week.

Oh, that's a shame. I'll hope for good news just the same.
fl.gif

I have known many cows individually. I would not call them dumb at all. They are herd animals so they have social hierarchy much like chickens have a pecking order. The are highly social, and when socialized to humans very easy to handle. I had one cow that I trained to cross cattle gaurds and she trailered easier than any horse. I could walk her off lead. She once found a rattlesnake and decided to pulverize it along with the help of our large housecat. She figured out that she could crush wire fences by putting her front legs over the fence onto the other side and letting her stomach squash the fence. She would then step daintily over what was left of it with her back feet. She also knew that heavy rains often made it easy to puch over fences posts and gates. Once she escaped and walked about 3 miles to the dairy where she was born. The dairyman saw her and thought one of thier cows had escaped. They chased her in a truck all the way back to our house where she spotted my brother at the mailbox. he said he thought she was going to run him down, but she screeched to a halt right in front of him. The dairymen tried to rope her, but my brother informed them that the cow was ours. If she was so dumb, how did she know my brother from far away and at the end of the road where she wouldn't be used to seeing him? She also managed to run all the way home again with the dairymen at her heels. She came when she was called and when we visited the fair enjoyed curley fries and coke.

I read once that elephants were one of the only other animals that return to the "grave" of their loved ones to mourn.

Horses do this as well. The last mare we lost, the others slept on and around her grave for weeks afterward, including her son and both of her daughters.

Rusty​

Quote:
Horses do this as well. The last mare we lost, the others slept on and around her grave for weeks afterward, including her son and both of her daughters.

Rusty

When we had our elderly shetland pony pts a few years ago we waited until her buddy (my TB gelding) walked away from her before we buried her. Took about 30 min before he finally left her. She is buried in the pasture and he frequently still stands on where she was buried....
I don't have much experience with cows but I don't think anything can be dumber than a guinea!
wink.png

sad.png
Poor thing! I wonder if she made it...
hit.gif

When we lived in Florida our yard abutted a pasture....i LOVED those cows... we fed them everyday and the HUGE bull would bellow at his girls if we fed them before him.(and all his girls actually listened to him!...they would back off until he let them eat...
hmm.png
).. but he was still very gentle with us...
One night a mama cow had her calf stolen..
sad.png
and she busted through the pasture fence into our yard looking for her baby.... and since she had always been so gentle with me before..i decided to try to walk up to her and pet her... (because she always let me pet her and her babies through the fence before... ) but that night she was frantic looking for her baby and she charged me... yeah..ouch,...
th.gif
my foot was the size of a football for long time... but i still loved those cows!
love.gif
big_smile.png

my dream is to have one someday....
maybe i can fit a mini one in my yard..
big_smile.png

Last edited:
remember the James Herriot story about the bull in the huge field, and how Dr. Herriot was so upset when he got out there, because the bull he was suppose to treat was out loose in this great big hilly field . . .he was pretty much resigned to the fact he would going to have to run that cow to hades and back, but the old farmer let the one old milk cow out, and here that great big ole' bull came running up the hill lickety split and went down on his front knees and began to nurse the old cow. Dr. Herriot was just amazed at the easy way the old farmer "caught" the bull and asked him what the heck was going on. The old farmer looked at him like he was crazy, and simply said, "that be his mama." I think cows can have their thoughts, and I agree with the remark about kids and their 4-H projects! Amazing what some of those cows will do for those kids.

I was talking to a friend of mine who has had Alpacas for years, and what they do when one of the babies are born dead or die after birth. . .how do they handle the mama. She said it seems that if they let the mama smell and look at the dead baby, and take her time with it, she is able to let them have it and doesn't "look" for it after that. It's as if they understand their little baby is gone. Breaks my heart to think about it. I can't stand the thought of any mama, human or otherwise, losing their baby. I can't hardly stand to watch NEMO when the mama protects her eggs and the big fish gets her . . .

Back
Top Bottom