A new Serama-sized game bantam

Gonna make another go at this project. Micro pullet is now micro hen:

DC92663F-9F03-4778-AC53-311D416A1B36.jpeg

Here is the 14 oz hen, pulled off of free range tonight:

9123A7E3-5260-43FB-8467-2E5C61C270B2.jpeg

I have put both of these hens in a coop tonight with this very young stag:

7D8CD6D2-C777-48A0-A2F3-F8F763FD36BC.jpeg

This stag is the son of General Lee and Suvivorlady, my tiny pure Cracker that raised herself as a fuzzy chick free range during the height of winter. That means this fellow is 3/4 Cracker 1/4 OEGB. I believe he will be small in adulthood. He’s probably 6 months old at least. His maturation has been retarded by being cooped with General Lee his entire life.

He has a smaller full brother I will also coop with a micro hen. I meant to do it tonight but remembered after dark that I forgot to set the roost up.

Those 3 are adorable. They look much more natural-bodied than a lot of other super tiny chickens. Good luck! Do you have any photos of the other male you plan to pair up with a micro hen?
Yes, this is him next to the red-banded micro hen I'm holding in my hand in the above post.
DSC_0036 (1).jpeg

I think he's the better looking stag. He just isn't the one I grabbed tonight. His comb is superior if I decide to make the Teacup Crackers conform to the junglefowl bantam standards.

The stag with the bigger comb has a good chance of being fertile.
He probably is, but I’d rather wait several months both for convenience and on the chance that the older he is the more vigorous his offspring will be. And I may end up preferring one stag to the other.

I do think there’s so many eggs in one of the coops (the coop that larger combed stag is in) that a hen is likely to go set before I move them.

The trouble with bantam pictures is that you cannot tell how large they are. In person, you can't even measure their height because their posture changes from one minute to the next. The best wat to track progress is to track weights. The breed description usually gives size in ounces so you have something to go by.

The trouble with bantam pictures is that you cannot tell how large they are. In person, you can't even measure their height because their posture changes from one minute to the next. The best wat to track progress is to track weights. The breed description usually gives size in ounces so you have something to go by.
I’m trying to reduce the size of my bantam Buckeyes, and some of them don’t make sense. They look small and feel small but are actually heavy and vice versa. So I just chose the cockerel that mysteriously is both fairly light and muscular at the same time. He must just be really compact, he doesn’t look small, and he doesn’t feel small, but he has the right size so I can’t complain. Bringing down their weight is extremely difficult because the breed is fairly heavily muscled.

Back
Top Bottom