A new way to ship....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Camelot Farms, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

For a couple of months now, I have been shipping eggs like this:

Use a cardboard egg carton. Place eggs 'fat end' up in the carton. Then completely fill the carton to overflowing with the biodegradable paper product that some folks use in bunny cages and bird cages. Close the lid which is sometimes out of whack due to the amount of packing. Run a few strips of masking tape around the carton and then place it into a larger shipping box surrounded by wadded up newspaper.

I have had great reports back from buyers (feel free to chime in if you are out there...) that they have been getting hatches of 6 out of 8, 5 out of 6 etc.

That seems abnormally high for shipped eggs, at least in my experience. I usually end up with maybe 1/2 being hatched.

So I am thinking a couple of things...

1) the biodegradable paper and the cardboard carton are acting as temperature moderators and wicking away any moisture that could build up.

2) the eggs while padded well are still able to move a little bit. So, when the box is dropped or shaken, the whole egg is moving a bit rather than the having the outside shell stay still but the yolk being sloshed all over and the air cells damaged.

Anyone else willing to pick up a bag of the biodegradable stuff (I get mine at Pet Smart or the local feed mill for a few dollars a bag) and try using it for shipping and see what happens?

If we could find a way to increase our hatch rates, we would all be better off.

Using this method, I have had no reports of broken eggs at all and I usually have 6-10 in a carton. Eggs ship from SWVA and have been sent to CA, NC, SC and a few other places that I cannot remember.

What do you think? Am I onto something?

2. marc81

marc81 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2009
    Layton
    I think that is a good idea,I think usins the bubble wrap method dose more harm than good just my opinion:D

3. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I think it sounds pretty promising :) I wonder if you can buy the material in bulk? I *love* the fact that the packing material is bio-degradable...love it!

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I just hatched 14 of 16 shipped in an egg carton. Each egg was wrapped in paper towel, and they were firmly placed in the egg carton. The egg cartons were placed in a PO box and filled with packing materials, to allow the egg cartons to sit firmly in the box. I like this way.

5. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

What about using "wadded paper" from a paper shredder ?

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:I think you should send some eggs to me, to see if it will work going to Missouri! [​IMG]

ETA: I'm just volunteering to test it out, as I love to be helpful! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  7. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Very charitable of you! [​IMG]

8. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think you should send some eggs to me, to see if it will work going to Missouri! [​IMG]

ETA: I'm just volunteering to test it out, as I love to be helpful! [​IMG]

Kathyinmo,

Not EVEN Daniel Boone worked after going to Missouri !!!!!!!!! (He went hunting!!!)

Ha-Ha!!!
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

9. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I quit using bubble wrap, well I got lazy acutally and found that the carton and the coupon papers were the best..LOL I wrap all my eggs in either sales paper or coupon adds then stick them in the carton big end up and then surround the carton with more newspaper. So far haven't had any broken and have had reports of great hatches.

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    how heavy is the box. I'm not looking at it by shipping cost but a heavy box causes problems too. plus I personal wouldn't want to pay shipping on a 20 lb box

I use bubble wrap and packing peanuts, $6 shipping and great hatches even with serama

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by