A newbie needing advice on hatching!-update-They Made It !!!

kriswester

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 19, 2009
Marianna,Florida
I have 3 Serama eggs in my 'bator-2 had tiny holes they had pipped out at 8 this am. Today is day 19-so right on schedule but......They haven't made much progress and it is 10:30 pm now. How long do they take to hatch? At what point do you intervene? This is my first incubator birthing episode and I'm about to stroke out. I'll have to call an ambulance for me at this rate! ANY advice is appreciated!
barnie.gif

jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Hi! Yes, I stopped turning 3 days ago and put in a small bowl of water to increase the humidity. It seems I can't ever get it above 55% for some reason. Do the chicks rest or sleep at intervals during the time after they start pipping? I hear them cheeping occaisionally and then they get quiet but start up again. They don't really sound distressed but...... I have read everything I can find and some say wait for 24 hours some say 6 hours is too long. I don't want to be overreacting but I don't want to cause any to die from my ignorance either!

Thanks for responding!
frow.gif

I would place some warm damp sponges in the incubator really quick so as not to loose heat. They do sleep sometimes for long periods while they are trying to get out. Day 19 is a bit early so keep the humidity up and give them at least 24 hours. Then follow the instructions stickied at the top of this forum. Once they pip and don't make much progress, the membrane can dry out so much they can't turn. Don't rush it but you may need to assist.

From one newbie to another, try to remain calm. We just had our first fuzz bucket hatch 2 days ago and now we are sitting at 9. We lost one yesterday that just broke my heart
hit.gif
I went in to check on it and I knew it looked different but I know most post say don't rush to help and I saw that it was breathing. I went in to check on it about 15 min. later and the membrane looked really dry and it wasn't moving or peeping so I tried to help it but it was too late. I was so upset with myself for not following my motherly instinks 15 min. ealier!
somad.gif
It did have what looked like maybe a cut or something on one of it's little legs. Anyway, my kids took it outside and gave it a proper burial. My 4 yr. old said the sweetest little prayer for it. She is convinced it is having the time of it's life in Heaven right now with our cat that died last year.
love.gif
And the fun is not over yet, we have another one pipping today!
wee.gif
Good luck with your hatch
jumpy.gif
and keep listening to all the folks on this site. They give great support and advise!

To EVERYONE that responded to me...Thank you so much! I finally ended up intervening from 1:00 am to 3:30 am after the chicks made no further advancement hatching and reading everything I could find on here. I ended up using Q-tips and warm water and gently zipping their eggs for them while moistening the membrane. I exposed their little heads and left them to do the rest. They still ended up needing more help at 11:00 am this morning and during the process I noticed they appeared to be sticking to the shell so I'm certain it was humidity issues. (I've learned so much from all the knowledgable folks on here!)
bow.gif

They have been recouperating from their delayed births all day and one is doing pretty well. The other,smaller chick I'm really worried about and have made her a small crib of sorts from the end of a cardboard box to keep the other chicks from trampling her. She did appear to be a tiny bit better a few minutes ago so I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for her! I'm keeping them in the bator for now. How long is that safe for? At what point should they be placed in the brooding area with food and water? I know the yolk is supposed to provide adequate nutrition for three days but....Is the bator at 99.6 too much constant heat or with them being weak is it okay?

I know I sound like I never should have started this without all the answers but I thought I was okay. I've had four children and don't remember being this stressed.....
th.gif

But again thank you to you all!
thumbsup.gif

Yay!!!! While I was typing, I had another Black Sumatra hatch! So far that makes 3 Black Sumatra and my 2 bitty Seramas! I'm afraid I'm going to develop an addiction to this...stress or no stress!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom