A newbie that's needs to build a coup and fast!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Caggman, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Caggman

Caggman New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Hi guys and thanks for this outstanding forum! My names Terry, live on a few acres. Thing is My daughter has about 15 hens, most laying and seems the city code inforcment has nabbed her as its restricted in city limited. So, I'm building a hen house. Now being a carpenter I can build pretty much anything, as long as it's racoon proof and stays cool in the summer as we live in SW fla. I'm going to have about a 10' 15'run off the main coup and about 10' wide. Similar to the pic I will attach. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated as I'm certain this is the first of many many posts to come!
    Thanks in advance and if anyone needs a bit O carpentry advice I'm here!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    No picture [​IMG] Have you checked out the coops section for ideas, styles, sizes etc. Generally allow 4-5 sq. feet per bird inside the coop (excluding roosts and nest boxes) and 10 sq.feet per bird in the outdoor run. Would love to see photos after you build. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Terry, [​IMG]

Always room for another Floridian here! Come say hi on our state thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

A couple of the things that will help chickens cope with our climate:
    * Ventilation in the coop, you can't have too much with our hot, humid months
    * Shade, natural or man-made, is your chickens best friend for the coop, the run, or free ranging

You can get more ideas for FL coops on our state thread.

Hope you enjoy having your daughter's chickens, they are great little animals!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Terry and welcome to BYC - seems like its fortunate you are a carpenter considering the circumstances! [​IMG] The coop section may give you additional inspiration to those provided above. I'm a great fan of garden shed kinda structures for coop but that might be a bit too boring given your wood-working skills. Hope to see the photos soon.

All the best
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Caggman

Caggman New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Thank you!

7. Caggman

Caggman New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Thank you guys for the feed back! I now how resources, thanks!

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by