A picture with bugs - new pic. p3

Eeeeeergh aaaaaaaaaargh makes me itch just looking!!!!

I have used wood ash for the birds to dust in to help remove them. It clogs them up and kills them. I dont know if it will kill them all but my quail and chickens dont seem to have them anymore since I started letting them dust in it.

Keeping it dry and in the trays is a trick though
lol.png

It's good timing for this thread to come along: I have been dealing with some stubborn fowl mites myself.

Question about the Ivermectin: does it have any residual effect? that is, does it continue to keep the bugs off for a while, after the first dose? It's my understanding that the powders (sevin/carbaryl and peremethrin) continue to work as long as there is a residue of the dust on the birds.

Having said that, I can't quite get the bugs to clear up. I've been alternating between the two types of dust. I'll do a round of treatment (once a week for three weeks) and then there won't be any bugs for a month or so, and then they start coming back. I have cleaned and scrubbed the coops, and sprayed Orange Guard. Getting frustrating.

ETA: I hate all of this chemical stuff. It defeats one of the main reasons to keep chickens in the first place. I'll certainly do what I have to in order to keep my flock healthy, but it pains me to have to break out the "big guns."

Last edited:
Quote:
Just as a side note, that stuff is expensive. The last time I bought some in that size container it was around $50. I would try to horse fly sprays first. It runs about $6-10 for a spray bottle.

I used Ivermectin on my birds for northern fowl mites and it didn't touch them...dusted with 5% seven dust and they were gone in a day. This is of course just my personal experience...I would much prefer to use the pour on, but the seven just plain worked better on my critters. Lice on the other hand I found easily erradicated with garden and poultry dust found at the local TSC.

Quote:
Just as a side note, that stuff is expensive. The last time I bought some in that size container it was around $50. I would try to horse fly sprays first. It runs about $6-10 for a spray bottle.

The bottle is expensive but it will last you for years - you only use a few drops per bird ;-)

Quote:
I had the opposite experience... the dusting powder was HORRIBLE to apply, I got sick from it, the birds got sick from it, the experience was very stressful and toxic - and it did NOT get rid of the lice
sad.png

Ivermectin gets rid of the worst lice infestations here (twice a year we have them... my girls free-range and there is a lot of wildlife that shares the land: mice, rats, rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs, skunks, birds, cats, etc... yecchh).

Back
Top Bottom