A pigeon dilemma

spunky-chicken

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
So I let my pigeons out in the evening which was a pretty dumb idea as it's only their second flight day, and out of 8 released only 5 made it back in and the other 3 are well up in a pine tree. The question is, do I close the loft door and let the 3 sort out their night until the 5 get let out in the morning, or do I leave the door open in hope they make it down and risk raccoons. Kind of a time important question I guess.

You could bring the other pigeons inside in cat carriers or boxes and leave the loft door open.
Bad Idea,, it allows Rocky to enter into loft and snack out:hit on the 3 vagrant pigeons that were not smart enough to enter before lockup. :old
Worse yet,,, since familiar where the source of food is readily available,,,, will attempt entry next day and try breaking in.
That's a great idea but there's too many of them
I'm glad you locked up the loft:thumbsup Your pigeons will be fine in the trees. Of course there is no guarantee,,,, since owls, if you have in area, could possibly take one.
Pigeons would stay in tree for the night, and not attempt to fly in the dark into loft.
Look at this as a learning experience. Let your pigeons out preferably hungry. They will trap much easier. As time passes, and your flock fly's together,,,,, they will also trap into loft somewhat together. Meaning, they will go to sleep in loft with the onset of nighttime.
There is no problem with flying your pigeons late in afternoon. Some advantages as well. Most hawks already ate lunch earlier in the day, so not really looking for dinner pigeons.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom