A pile of chickens...

neuchicontheblock

Songster
10 Years
May 23, 2009
:/Why are my three young hens, who have been with me for a month now, all squeeze in one box in the coop with their heads in? The others are free ranging and their designated rooster is in with them or not far away. No eggs either, though some one layed one when they first got here. Someday, I would like breakfast, or a chick, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. They eat and drink well, forage about, have corn and veggies on occasion.

Do the others pick on the three in the box? They may feel they have to hide there. If they are stressed out they won't lay. Maybe try separating them into their own area for a while and see if they come out of their shell... errr... box.

no, no fighting, just hiding. They will go out if I chase them out and they eat. Just confused if I am doing right by them

I was reading the posts about food today and I thought Iv would get them out a little bit more even in the cold drizzly rain and I put out a container of plain organic yourgurt. The roo got his face up to eyes coated and then ate grain. He look so cutely encrusted! All were quiet today in the coop so I couldn't tell you what was going on.

Back
Top Bottom