A Plan Coming Together

d_rooster

Songster
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
North Augusta, SC
Well, my diabolical hatching plan is finally coming together. The Silkie eggs are still going strong in the first incubator with this coming Saturday being day 21. Broody Betty is still sitting on her six matching Silkie eggs with this Friday being her due date.

My second incubator arrived over the weekend. Wife spotted the incubator, but I played innocent. 14 Salmon Favorelles hatching eggs arrived in the mail today with big, red stamps all over it which read "Fragile, Hatching Eggs". Wife found the package on the front step this morning and figured out I was up to no good with the new incubator.
smile.png
She says I cannot turn into a crazy chicken man with the yard overrun with chickens. I promised her that I won't keep all of the ones I hatch, but will probably give some away. I might be able to keep that promise.
wink.png

Anyway, the eggs that came in the mail today were perfectly wrapped. Each was individually wrapped in bubble wrap and taped closed. The box was loaded with more bubble wrap (top, bottom, and sides). There was so much bubble wrap that, at first, I thought all I had been shipped was a box of bubble wrap. These eggs will rest overnight, then into the new Hovabator first thing tomorrow morning.

I found an egg from one of my old English bantams today which will get a chance at the incubator. Also any other potentially fertile eggs that show up by tomorrow from my non-virgin hens will also go into the incubator. If I count correctly, that means New Year's Eve is hatching day for this new batch.

Hatch On!!!!

You need a post office box....just for your chicken deliveries! Then you can sneak it in the house when she's out running errands.

It helps that I'm home during the day while DH is at work - never figures out I'm up to no good with chickens or more eggs until it is WAY too late.

I'm sure I could be sneakier if I tried, but I find it works better to be found guilty of lesser crimes more frequently than to weave a large web which is exposed all at once.
smile.png
I can become a crazy chicken man one egg at a time, if necessary.
smile.png

I guess that I could always have the eggs shipped to my work and set up an incubator in my office. Then there could be young, stray chickens that I find wandering up out of the nearby woods that I would have to take under my wing.
wink.png

"Anyway, the eggs that came in the mail today were perfectly wrapped. Each was individually wrapped in bubble wrap and taped closed. The box was loaded with more bubble wrap (top, bottom, and sides). There was so much bubble wrap that, at first, I thought all I had been shipped was a box of bubble wrap. ".
Who is your delightful shipper?

Thanks,
Lisa

Dipsy, my delightful shipper and egg source for the Salmon Favorelles was eBay seller: uptownpets.com . I am hopeful that the egg fertility/viability will be good since the seller obviously took care and time in packaging.

This sellers eBay feedback from customers reflects various claims from good fertility to lack of fertility and subsequent development of eggs. I found that true of almost every eBay egg seller's feedback. I bought eggs by mail knowing that it's a gamble. I imagine fertility may wax and wane within any breeding stock depending on ages of the stock and seasonal variation. So, I'll see what I get. I just know that this seller packaged with care so they hopefully had an smooth ride to my house.

LOL.

Good luck with the new eggs
smile.png

The hubby caught me looking at ovabid and eggbid tonight. He said, "you haven't even hatched out the first batch and you're looking for more?"

I'm already addicted from 49 BQ eggs set today and 6 serama eggs coming later this week!

Back
Top Bottom