A proper etiquette question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Scoop, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    This is Scoop's DD and I have a question about eating at a high class restaurant. When you get a meal and there are garnishes on it,such as kale, radishes, or parsley, is it ok to eat it?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes. Parsley is considered a palate cleanser, but I dislike the taste of it.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  4. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Agree with Gritsar. Just check your teeth afterwards!

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Garnishes are ok to eat, however if you're at a buffet you are supposed to use discretion when partaking.

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I say yes, they're okay to eat, but most people don't eat them, so if you're dining with people you don't know well, they may give you odd looks. [​IMG]

7. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Not something I would do..... the garnish is really only there to make the plate look prettier...

8. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I wouldn't eat it. As stated it's just there for the pretty aspect, and too hard to get out if it does get stuck in your teeth without looking like a dork. [​IMG]

9. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I won't eat it because I'm not sure it's safe. Was it washed properly? Could it be contaminated by raw foods in the kitchen? I've seen people treat garnish differently than say, a salad. They just grab it and place it on your plate without any thought to the meat they just had in their hands, etc., thereby cross-contaminating.

BUT I am a freak like that and I seldom eat out because I don't know how my food is handled or if the place is clean enough... [​IMG]

10. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Of course you should eat it, unless of course it is an herb or something of that nature that is put there for looks and aromatic effect. Any good chef gives the garnish some thought before using it. It not only needs to look good but compliment the meal both visually and from a flavor perspective.

Eat it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by