A quail of a different color???

GBov

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Have just hatched 19 out of 23 eggs (happy happy happy, thats me
big_smile.png
) but one of them is a different color than the rest. Its a reddish brown with a yellow mask across its face. I have the breeding stock, have seen the birds that mine have come from and they all look factory made! Not an odd one in the bunch.

Whats up with my little changeling?

If its just the face where they have the white coloring than they might be reds or cinnamon with a white mask, I have some of those, that means that from your breeding stock some quails have that coloring gene, it just doesnt show on them, and you will get some different coloring every once in a while. there was a guy here a while ago who had all brown coturnix, yet out of the whole hatch he got a white A M.

Yes it does, a bit! Its yellow is stronger over the eyes and stops on the throat instead of going down to its belly. It still has stripes though, just reddish and black instead of tan and black like the others.

Of course, its being different I can spot it at once in the brooder so am caring more for it than the rest
roll.png

I hope it makes it to adulthood, would love to see how it turns out
big_smile.png

Itll be a cinnamon with a white mask something like this
Mine also had almost the whole head white when it was a baby. I had more than 1 probably 4 with the white head but in the other three it faded away this one was the only one that retained a little bit of white.

7fa637f7.jpg

2d775d49.jpg

Last edited:
Well, THATS a pretty bird! Wont mind one or two of those running about the cage
big_smile.png

i got three of those little guys from my mixed batch along with 9 wild browns. The three turned out to be 2 dark tibetans and one slightly lighter (Cinnamon?) color. They are my favorites, although i love the more varied feathers of the wild ones too. Then i have 9 whites who all have odd splotches of black and a few brown feathers on their heads and/or backs. Recessive genes at work.

Back
Top Bottom