A question about canning and root cellaring

Morning Dove

Songster
11 Years
Oct 13, 2008
Eastern Shore MD
I have a small home, and I don't have a basement. I'd like to get into canning, but I'm having a question of storage space. Now I have an attic that I can get into, and I have a small detached garage. I'm not sure if the attic freezes or not in the winter, and I know my garage does. I've been reading about root cellaring and read that you can make a root cellar by burrying an old freezer with the door up. Could I store canned veggies in that? I also thought about putting a refrigerator in the garage, but that would spend quite a bit of energy, but what about broken one? Would it be able to keep canned veggies from freezing in the winter? Any other thoughts on additional canned food storage space with reguards to temperature highs and lows?

Dove

If you put a fridge in your garage, and it is cold out, the fridge won't run much ... so the energy concern wouldn't be an issue (unless you plan to run it in the summer as well).

If you leave an unused fridge in the garage, or bury one as you're thinking, make sure you secure it ... either could be a deathtrap for a child if they got stuck inside.

Try this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cellaring-Natural-Storage-Vegetables/dp/0882667033

It has many non-basement/non-cellar alternatives for cold or natural storage of vegetables and fruits. It also discusses the advantages of sawdust packing some or just digging a hole in the yard packed with staw, veggies, more straw and a covering. Very interesting for those who are looking toward self sufficiency.

Quote:
Ok, if it's cold out it won't run much, but would it still freeze? I don't want my canned good to freeze, and I know sometimes my eggs freeze in my house....soooo???

As far as the death trap issue, I wouldn't use a locking refrigerator, or else I'd pad lock it shut.

Dove

Ok, if it's cold out it won't run much, but would it still freeze? I don't want my canned good to freeze, and I know sometimes my eggs freeze in my house....soooo???

Quite possibly. Depends on how long your temperature stays below freezing where you are. Insulation works both ways, but if your temps stay below freezing for extended periods, the fridge will eventually get there too, sooner if it is in a garage, less so if it is buried.

Burying it would give you additional insulation. If the ground doesn't actually freeze where you are, that might work well. Cellars are generally deeper than a buried fridge would be, and stay at about 57 degrees. I would expect that how far above freezing a buried fridge can stay would depend on how deep the frostline gets in the winter.​

Why not store in boxes under the bed or in the bottom or top of the closets.
Store in boxes labeled and throw a cloth over it use for a table.
I have a root cellar.I use I love it for the space but there are other issues.like too much moistue ruining the lids and spiders,and bug poo and dirt on tops of all jars that comes from above.
I have a basement also.I tucked a bookshelf under the stair and it keeps so much better.
My MIL does use an old upright freezer in her basement for her canned storage.

Last edited:
I store glass jars in the pump house after I can food. I live in Oregon and it freezes here, but as long as I leave on the light in the well pump house (75 watt bulb) nothing seems to freeze. My pump house is insulated and seals pretty well.

My turnips and potatoes and roots I leave in the dirt as long as I can (usually until the really wet rain comes). They can last a long time just left in the dirt. Then I tie the onions and garlic with twine and hang them in the pump house. The roots (potatoes, turnip and rutabega) get tossed into the pump house in boxes to keep the light out. Everything seems to last awhile that way. Check them every few weeks and remove any spoilage to keep it from spreading.

Quote:
Dove, most folks in your predicament just place their canned goods under beds and in the backs of closets. I think they would freeze in your garage and in your attic unless its very well insulated in the attic.

You know what? You should visit our sister site, SufficientSelf! You will find a link at the bottom of each page on here. You will find some other folks who are into root cellaring and canning. Hope you meander on over!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom