a question about laying behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sdshoars, Dec 8, 2008.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    yesterday i sat inthe coop and watched my BO lay her second egg, and since this is my first real experience watching this, i have a question... when she hopped in the nest box, she made sure to roll the two golf balls in the nest underneath her, like she wanted to set on them. she made no rough movements with them, like she would break them, she just acted like she wanted to set them. is that a normal behavior? at first i thought she was out of her mind, trying to go broody after only laying one egg, but i left for a minute, and when i came back she had laid her egg and was getting off the nest. anyways,. i was just wondering if that is the norm?

2. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I hope it's normal cause my girls do the same with with their golf balls and each others eggs! I have one BO that loves to sit on 2 or 3 eggs for a bit before and after she lays.

Silly, silly girls!

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    ive never seen them do it but there is always one egg right next to the other. I think its just what is most comfortable for them.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yeah, my hens like all the eggs and the golf balls under them when they sit to down to lay.

5. too much fun

too much fun Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Happy Valley, Utah
    That's the way my hens do it!!

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I think that it's a mother hen instinct to draw all the eggs under her to keep warm and once they lay their own egg they leave hatching them to another. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by