A question about nesting boxes

Unfortunately if you really want to hatch babies in exact intervals to a predetermined schedule I think the best, and possibly only option, is to invest in an incubator and build a brooder. You can increase your chances of having broody hens more regularly by getting a broody breed. Aussie don't look super broody based on what little I have read. My cochin is broody several times a year. It is really hard to predict broody behavior or to make it happen when you want it to as it is completely instinct driven.

Also if a bird is not broody she will not mother chicks. Just something to be aware of if you go the incubator route. A hen is liable to kill chicks if she has not been broody and either hatched the eggs or made to believe that she hatched them.

If you really want to hatch eggs the natural way you will need to work with the birds schedule and just let what happens happen. You will end up with way more eggs than babies that way.

Or you could always do a combo of the two and incubate eggs to stick to your schedule and let hens hatch eggs as the opportunity arises.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom