A question about roosters

I think that there are lots of folks who decide to make pets out of roosters... and that's fine, but roosters on their own are totally different than if there are a bunch of ladies around to impress. If you try to make a pet out of something that you also expect to guard your flock, you'll just end up with a rooster who doesn't respect your boundaries.
If you have a rooster on his own as a pet, I'm sure there are lots of ways to make him your buddy. That doesn't mean that his natural instincts wouldn't kick in if there were suddenly hens in the picture.
As a side note, I certainly wouldn't let one sleep on me!!!

I’ve raised quite a few with only one being nasty,and he really wasn’t even a big issue because it was a sometimes thing.But yes it happens
Generally can start happening between 4 or 6 months you may start noticing aggression,but with the right info you can fix it right up.And depending on how their raised.I like mine as pets and always accomplish a friendly rooster and at the same time gives me all the space I need.
Sexual frustration is usually what brings upon the whole issue altogether.As we entertain spring I came down to the farm to visit my chickens and my rooster was a new man,caught hm almost tying to court me when I went to greet him,but he had to adjust and realize just cause it’s spring doesn’t mean you are my king now,but with some treats and a little pick and holding he quickly settled down with all the cockiness.
But if you end up getting a rooster and have issues you can try rehabilitation and if all fails cook him or give him to someone who doesn’t mind dealing with the drama.

My roosters going on three years and have never had him attack and he nearly was indoor roosters,he also has hens and that really didn’t change his demeanor.

Thanks for all the helpful info! I had no idea roosters are more likely to get nasty the more you make a pet out of them..
Depends on how your bring them up,my
Rooster and all his sons were pets and in fact one of his sons use to follow me like dog.He use to stay out until dark and when it was bedtime he’d come up to the house to get me and walk right own down to home to we locked up.He also had no care in the world if I picked him up.Maybe their father just had some good genes or some sort cause all his sons were friendly

My silver rooster as a chick was held and petted often by my GF (she thought he was a she). He has been the head of the flock since 4 months old, he will not let her get anywhere near him, my on the other hand he will challenge me, but I think he is jealous of the girls around me at feeding time. I have a wire cage I set over him when he is doing this. (currently in a breading unit) This guy is half bantam silkie (stood 6" in full crow) and half blue Ameraucana.
My black rooster (son of silver and a blk australorp/EE) follows me like a puppy dog all the while talking to the girls, or maybe to me IDK,,, either way he has never shown aggression to me or anyone else. Look out food dish!

Back
Top Bottom