A question about staggered hatches. New chick pictures!

LadyinRed

Songster
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
Ok, all day yesterday my two broody hens hatched chicks. I put a egg under them a day or two later than the rest figureing I would try it. The two hens are still sitting but are feeding their chicks. It is almost dark here. Do you think the broody hens (silkies) will stay on the egg and accept the younger chick if it hatches under them? Oh, btw, I will add pictures. This one will definately be a buff silkie and the other three chicks might be but two have spots on their heads.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Ahh, the egg by the way was only put under the hens originally 2 days after the first eggs then I swiched it to a differnt hen. Either way looks like she's sitting on it. I showed her the egg and she growled at me and rolled it under herself. Hopefully since it pipped it will hatch tonight.

Went out there this morning and momma's had kicked the egg out. I put it under another hen, it was peeping weekly and had not opened any further so I started helping it. Well. I noticed something wrong with this little guy. He was not able to move. He was not shrink wrapped but my god was he BIG!!!! He was fully ready to hatch so I helped him the rest of the way. No blood, yolk sac, anything. He was taking up even the space where the air cell should have been. Massive buff colored silkie chick.
ep.gif
He is under a silkie cross till he dries off for pictures and I stick that big guy in with the hens. He is already my favorite this hatch.

After I get back home I'll post pictures!!

Back
Top Bottom