A question about staggered hatches.

halo

Got The Blues
14 Years
Nov 22, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I have 4 EE's that are on day 18 today and some Brahmas that are on day 16. If I wait til tomorrow, can I put them both in the hatcher, day 19 for the EE's and day 17 for the Brahmas?

With as little as I know about hatching, I would think day 17 is too early for the hatcher. But please take that with a grain of salt and let some one with real experience weigh in here. Just use this as an excuse to go buy another hatcher. LOL!!

Just wait until the brahmas are on day 18 and move them all then. I don't know how many times I have forgotten to remove the eggs and have had them pip/hatch in the turner.......

If you have a hatcher, you should be able to move them into it on their day 18, especially when you are talking about so few eggs. If you are concerned about humidity, I would wipe them with a warm damp paper towel when I had to place the later egg in. There shouldn't be any ill effect.

I would wait until the Brahma's are on day 18 too, then move the EE and them at the same time. The EEs will only be on day 20 and should be just fine. If they're mine, they more than likely won't hatch till day 22 anyways.
smile.png

Jody

Well.....I guess I could wait til the EE's are 20 days....but (whiiiiiiiine) I wanna put them in the hatcher now! Because when they go in the hatcher, the IBW starts. It cant start if they are still in the bator. (whiiiiine).

Another thing...what about the humidity. Will it hurt the EE's for hatching (even tho they are Jody's, which dont hatch late anyway...) if they are in lower humidity until day 20? And another thing, they are in the egg turner. Can they stay in there until day 20?

Last edited:
Being in a turner shouldn't affect them, that is assuming you have them in a turn that hold the egg up and down. As long as the aircell is up, there shouldn't be a problem with that. As to the humidity, if you use the dry incubating method, then yes, the humidity could be an issue. If you have been keeping a standard humidity of 50% or so, there shouldn't be much of an issue as long as you have your hatcher at the humidity that you want for the hatch and can keep it there. If you are really concerned, you can always wipe your eggs with a warm moist paper towel or mist them.

Thanks, Leslie. Ive always read not to turn them after day 18, so I didnt know if it would hurt to have them in a turner for another day or two. I really never should have staggered these things, but....but.....but....

I just couldnt resist
idunno.gif
How do you say no to eggs????

Well, Jody, your EE's are going to make a liar out of you, because today is day 19, and I have a pip!; isnt that just like critters, when you think you've got them figured out, they do something different. They are in an egg carton; Im anxious to see how they do with this method.

Back
Top Bottom