A question about sulfur

Chickens are smarter than we think (though sometimes their behaviour can seem mysterious to us). The only way a chicken would eat too much of something was if they were shut up in their run with only that 'food'. They will eat certain weeds that aren't great for them if that's the only type of greens they have on offer, but given other choices they'll eat what best fulfills their dietry needs.

Red mites feed on blood so put chickens under a lot of stress if there is a massive outbreak. They can potentially kill chickens if the problem isn't brought under control. Red mites like to live and reproduce in dark places so the coop is the place to treat and sprinkle your repellents. You can sprinkle a little in a favourite dust bathing spot too as a good dust bath is a chickens best defence against external parasites. I've used neem oil very effectively in the coop as it stops mites at all stages of development (so I don't have to retreat to break the cycle).

Rodents can carry red mites so making sure they, and wild birds, stay out of the run is a good preventative step. This is an ongoing battle for me with huge brown rats who will chew through thick pieces of wood to get into my enclosed runs (I've lost many quail to them as well as having outbreaks of red mites thanks to them). Sadly in my little country they are introduced and there is very little that can catch and eat them, so we constantly have bait out which gets gobbled up, but it's a never ending battle. It's making me seriously consider getting a little terrier!

(New to forum) Here in the US we have a product called Tomcat rat and mouse killer that comes in a small, green brick. They come in a pack of refillable pet-resistant feeders and as just the green refill bricks. I've used it for several years in the house, garage, and coop in the feeders and just the blocks and it has controlled the mice and rats very well with no pet or bird problems. I've put out just the blocks for rats, under the house and in the coop and other small places the cats and dogs can't get, but the rats will carry them off if they can. A guy I worked with said to screw or nail the bricks to a board and the rats will have to chew on them, otherwise they will take them to their nest and likely just end up in a pile with other stuff and they won't eat the bait. The little feeders are also skunk- and raccoon-resistant, which says a lot.

Chickens are smarter than we think (though sometimes their behaviour can seem mysterious to us). The only way a chicken would eat too much of something was if they were shut up in their run with only that 'food'. They will eat certain weeds that aren't great for them if that's the only type of greens they have on offer, but given other choices they'll eat what best fulfills their dietry needs.

Red mites feed on blood so put chickens under a lot of stress if there is a massive outbreak. They can potentially kill chickens if the problem isn't brought under control. Red mites like to live and reproduce in dark places so the coop is the place to treat and sprinkle your repellents. You can sprinkle a little in a favourite dust bathing spot too as a good dust bath is a chickens best defence against external parasites. I've used neem oil very effectively in the coop as it stops mites at all stages of development (so I don't have to retreat to break the cycle).

Rodents can carry red mites so making sure they, and wild birds, stay out of the run is a good preventative step. This is an ongoing battle for me with huge brown rats who will chew through thick pieces of wood to get into my enclosed runs (I've lost many quail to them as well as having outbreaks of red mites thanks to them). Sadly in my little country they are introduced and there is very little that can catch and eat them, so we constantly have bait out which gets gobbled up, but it's a never ending battle. It's making me seriously consider getting a little terrier!
How do you use Neem oil for mites?

Back
Top Bottom