A Question for Boyd and the rest of you Foster Parents.

Quote:
Kelsy is going thru a private agency. In CA if you do that, they'll set up your walkthrus and 1 on 1 classes in your home.

Quote:
Kelsy is going thru a private agency. In CA if you do that, they'll set up your walkthrus and 1 on 1 classes in your home.

Ahhhh makes sense now! I was hoping she wasn't gonna get let down. It was a very long process for us and i didn't realize that when i started.

So do the kids come from the state?

Smoke detectors!! In every bedroom that's my advice~

Quote:

Ahhhh makes sense now! I was hoping she wasn't gonna get let down. It was a very long process for us and i didn't realize that when i started.

So do the kids come from the state?

Smoke detectors!! In every bedroom that's my advice~

Yes, I'm going through a private Agency, the kids are still from the state.

I was told it was a good Idea to have a bed and dresser set up when thaey come take a look, so that's waht I'm working on.

The Process seems to be a little easier through them, I just got my Orientation packet, here's what is says needs to be done,

1. Orientation (This takes place one on one in my home)
2. Complete Application
3. Submit Finger prints and child abuse index for clearance
4. DMV Printout, proof of Auto Insurance, and Copy of CA DL
5. Physical and TB test
6. Proof of pet Vaccinations
7. 7 hour Pre-Certification Reg. training
8. 7 Hour Pre-Certification Therapeutic training
9. 4 hour CPR and water safety course
10. submit home study Questionaire
11. Complete Homestudy Evaluation.

They say it take 30-90 days to complete, but closer to 30 days if you are willing to work hard and just get it all out of the way.

that's kinda cool! I can't believe they don't require more classes but that's cali.
Yes, set it up! They want to see how it will be for the kids.
we needed~
10 weeks Mapp classes
6 weeks behavior classes
1 class for infants
1 class for meds
finger prints on file
fbi check
state and local check
finger printed babysitter
homestudy
sanitization expection- done by health dept....fire estinquiser, smoke detectors, set up , vet stuff, 40 sq ft per child
carbon dioxide test
proof of car insurance
references from work, neighbors and school
income statements
physical

that's why i asked...see what i mean! But funny no drug tests...lol

Last edited:
Passed my 2 hours sanitation training. Passed walkthru, with a *but* they asked me to paint the bedroom by Monday 10AM when they're comming back. So tomorrow I'll be painting (I don't have old clothes so I'm stealing hubby's). After the agency signs off the county should issue the liscense # next week.
big_smile.png

If so start - finish 2 months.

They also got me on not having an "official" earthquake kit, they require a 4 person for 3 days kit, which is $100 at Sam's Club (it's the one in the backpack), so you may wanna ask about that early Kelsey (first time it was mentioned was today). We had everything they require in a rubbermaid tub, but since it wasn't the specific kit, they asked us to buy a prefab kit.

Private agencies do "on-going" training, which means they come out *weekly* to visit/train you. We needed a physical, but we have 30 days to get it done (hubby got his last week, mine's next week)

Last edited:
Quote:
He just can't live with you and will probally have to do background check~

Ugh...I would never throw my best friend of 2 years out of my house. I have some serious personal and financial reasons for not wanting to get married...I hate states that pass their "moral" judgment on us.

To think, if they only held the kids' original parents up to the same high standards they hold the innocent strangers who want to make a better life for them! There'd be a lot less kids in foster care.

Another question -- my dad is a 52 y/o single male who lives alone with his birds. He gets angry by the number of abused kids out here. Would states let him foster?

Maybe, depends on the state rules for singles, as well as the rules on pets/livestock.

Example: I can hatch the incubator in the house, but must brood chicks in the garage, because "livestock" can't be in the house. Can't free range either.

Quote:
He just can't live with you and will probally have to do background check~

Ugh...I would never throw my best friend of 2 years out of my house. I have some serious personal and financial reasons for not wanting to get married...I hate states that pass their "moral" judgment on us.

To think, if they only held the kids' original parents up to the same high standards they hold the innocent strangers who want to make a better life for them! There'd be a lot less kids in foster care.

Another question -- my dad is a 52 y/o single male who lives alone with his birds. He gets angry by the number of abused kids out here. Would states let him foster?

your best friend is considered a room mate. They would just have to get a background check. Imagine if they didn't and then the "room mate/boyfriend/girlfriend/etc" is a perv or felon. Not saying your is..lol They just have to make sure. There is a liability factor when they have custody of these kids.

He could do it! so could you, just gotta get the background check on friend. Some places are less strick so you would have to ask your state. Go on their site and there will be a link for adoption.foster care. Call the number and ask~

And they do hold these parents to a high standard! You have to do alot to get your kids back! they aren't just smiling and they get them back. You have someone elses child in your custody. if that were my kid and they placed him/her in a home which resulted in something bad , i'd have the right to ask for criminal charges and sue. there is a ladt from fl her 3 year old son died in foster care. she was gonna through the program to get him back and sued the state and won.

states seem to make up their own rules for qualifications... michigan allows gay couples and single parents to foster....

I know michigan is probably a little out of the norm in this regard, but it is definately worth it!!!!

I foster for waaaaaaaaaaaaay personal reasons (and those of you who know shhhhhhhhhhhhh) everyone has their own reasons and ideas so lets sign everyone up!!!!!!!!!

theres more kids in need than families!

Back
Top Bottom