A Question Please?

Mary631

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
First I want to say thank you for the very warm welcome last week. I have been very busy and today is Hatching Day! So far 3 and one half chicks out of the 26 eggs. Im so excited as this is my very first chicks ever.

My question, is it alright to house the chickens next to a dog run? The dogs are not in the run every day and there will be a fence plus board fencing between them. I guess Im concerned that either the chickens can infect the dogs with something or the dogs could infect the chickens with something. My dh wants to use the existing fences so we dont have to start all over. Its a good spot for the chickens, grass, trees, shade and some sun.

Any advice will be most appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Mary

I would not be so worried about the disease factor unless the dog bites the chicken, and since your dog is up to date on shots it should be fine, I would just try and be sure your dogs cannot go over the fence or bust through it, because they will probably want to chase and possibly eat your chicks...My cat chased my chicks and ate a few, then I had to pretty much train her not to do that, it was very hard at first but now the chickens and the cat lay under my hubby's work van together????
idunno.gif

Other than dog saliva having nasty bacteria in it the only thing I would be concerned with is if the dogs could dig under or the chickens fly over to the other run.

I have a dog yard adjacent to my chicken run, and so far it has worked.

With a heavy duty fence between.

And heavy 2' x 4' / hardware cloth walls on the run.

And 14" x 14" paving stones along the fence.

And a 4' high plywood section along the side for the first three months until the dogs stopped staring intently and drooling.

I have a Border Collie and a Shepherd/Husky mix who specialize in engineering projects, and I wasn't taking any chances. So far, so good. (knock on wood)

Good luck!

Jen in TN

Back
Top Bottom