A question regarding killing your birds...

Steal a road cone from the highway. Nail two corners to a stump point of cone down the side of the stump. Cut off about 2 inches off the top of the cone. Catch chicken and put in the cone head first. Cut the head off with a good knife. I think you cut the head off the chicken to kill it and to drain off the blood from the meat. Cone keeps em from flopping all over. Reduce blood spatter reduce insects. Just a suggestion. Good luck with the gun!

Quote:
good idea on road cone I never thought of that one. not that we ever killed any chickens. We do plan on getting some next year to try and I think that would work great. now where can I steal a road cone and not get caught
lau.gif

The cone method is what I use. I'll have a 5 gal pail under the cone to collect the blood for a easier clean up. The only problem I have encounter is the different sizes of the birds that I process. I have to brake down and acquire a few more cones. 99% of the birds I do are the Cornish X.

rotfl.. i use the BB gun method... just have to make sure you have a strong BB gun (i have a multi pump.. 3-10 ), just have to be good at aiming or pump it to the max so it doesn't just knock them out.. Quick though. Painless (most of the time.. ) BBs aren't too expensive. good target practice if you hunt turkeys etc. and i believe it to be just as humane as Giving them a shot and putting them to sleep. or Gasing them with car fumes or some other. hatchet. smothering or just beating them in the head with a bat or hitting their head on the side of a building. tree, or some sort of hard object. Breaking their necks or wringing their necks. etc lol..

-Daniel

We use a cone I made from scrap metal, and a pair of tree loppers to remove the entire head at once. We have a 5 gal pail under the bird to collect the blood. The collected blood has water added the poured around the fruit trees.

Using a cone keeps the bird from flapping it wing to much and getting bruised.

Back
Top Bottom