A quick hello from Hawaii!

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif

The coop is big enough to house the 4 HENS
fl.gif
just let them freerange every once in a while......playtime!

i like the idea of putting the chickens back with the pup. the good thing about keeping chickens near dogs is the smell of the dogs can go a long way towards keeping chicken predators away (mongoose and cats).

as you said, just make sure that you raise the chicks with the dog such that the dog won't go crazy trying to eat the chickens. if you keep looking around this site there are some people who have some great suggestions for how to train your dog to be good to the chickens.

i'm heading up your way to shark's cove for some diving tomorrow. hopefully the surf stays down a bit longer.

welcome-byc.gif
Animals raised together usually get along. Just don't make ur dog jealous. Also breeds that are bred to be hunting dogs are more difficult... I wouldn't trust one alone. I have 4 chicks, check out my set up.

Thanks again everyone! I have decided to go with a bigger coop because Im falling in love with my chickies and definitely want to breed them later... my new favorite pets ::just dont tell my puppy I said so LOL:: I took them in the back in their new set-up.

Im using an old playpen that I was gonna toss, but fixed it up, added some straw and a toy for them to perch on. So far they love it! And my pup layed next to them and just hung out. he didnt try for the playpen or growl or anything! I think my neighbors having chickens may have made him used to the sounds and smell they make.

I still have the playpen in the house but they have an outdoor space to play in during the day.

Thanks again to everyone and I look forward to chatting with you all again soon!

yes, i can agree to that..the chickens are addictive..
I have 6 rhode island reds..
we are new at this, we just started 2 months ago. my husband wanted eggs quick so we got hens that are about a year old..they have adjusted really well.
Its great to have the forum as this to talk to others about ours joys and many ?'s
have fun.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom