A quick question on brooder lights.

aeiou

Hatching
Jan 24, 2015
Greenview, Missouri
I will be brooding a few ducks for the first time soon. In "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks" Holderread recommends the use of blue bulbs in brooders to reduce eye strain and feather eating. However I keep seeing pictures of peoples brooders using red lights. A quick Google image search of "duck brooder" will show this.

What is the best type of light to use in a brooder? How much does color really matter?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've used red and clear bulbs with no difference. As long as they have good space, food, water and heat ducks aren't big on feather picking/ eating.
Aprille

I've used red and clear bulbs with no difference. As long as they have good space, food, water and heat ducks aren't big on feather picking/ eating.
Aprille
That's pretty much what I figured. I looked for blue bulbs today at my local farm supply store and they didn't have them. I've got clear on hand and will use them unless someone educates me otherwise.

That's pretty much what I figured. I looked for blue bulbs today at my local farm supply store and they didn't have them. I've got clear on hand and will use them unless someone educates me otherwise.
I too read that and no one has blue so I went with red since they get nice and hot. Never had any problems. I think it's mainly chicks that need the red so they don't kill eachother pecking a red spot.

Back
Top Bottom