A Quick Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clubby, Nov 2, 2011.

1. clubby

clubby Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Does sneezing always develop into something else ? id rather not give them antibiotics unless they realy need them.

Thanks in advance.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Chickens do not get colds. If they are sneezing consistantly, there is a respiratory illness at work.

Antibiotics may or may not help, as many diseases are viruses, and will not be treated by anti-biotics.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It is a hard call when your chickens are sneezing. If they have a respiratory virus or bacterial infection, and you wait to long to treat it, the chickens can be dead before you know how bad things really are. Chicken rarely show that they are sick, and can die before you even know that they were sick. Most animals that are very low on the food chain, will hide any sign of illness. This can make it hard to know when the are truly ill.

I guess if it was my flock, and only one hen was sneezing a lot, that I wouldn't treat them with drugs. But if all the chickens were sneezing I would treat them asap. I agree that if it is a virus that there may not be much you can do to effectively treat them.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  4. clubby

Jul 10, 2011
    I was wondering can they just catch cold , thank you for the quick reply.

5. clubby

Jul 10, 2011
    I had some birds staying with me briefly , they were seperated from my own flock but within 3days a few of mine fell ill ,ie 1 with a closed eye ,1 with a rattly chest and another with puffy eyes , i had them on antibiotics and all have recovered glad to say but the owner denies it came from his birds ,it just seems a bit of a coincidence .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by