1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A rabbit and our chickens!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Nat123, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Nat123

Nat123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Home Sweet Home
    In the morning yesterday as my husband went into the backyard to let the chickens out, he saw the rabbit that was in our backyard for a short visit the other day before, has come back. It's a wild fluffy grey big rabbit that just got busy digging burrow in our backyard where the chickens love to dust bath. Appearantly the rabbit got busy already when the chickens were not even out yet. I don't know the reason why it picked our backyard, maybe it's because of the chickens!It obviously love eating the chicken feed! [​IMG]
    Here is a video of it when it was digging the burrow with a couple of our chickens checked to see what it was doing [​IMG]

It came back again this morning, so I guess it found its new home [​IMG] I call it "it" because I don't know if it's a male or female.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That appears to be a young flemish giant and they are domesticated, not wild. Either someone dumped it or someone is missing their pet. FG's are very gentle bunnies.

3. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Quote:That's exactly what I thought. I used to raise them for show and they're an awesome breed.
    I say you catch it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    That's a domestic rabbit and based on the large dewlap under her chin, I'm going to say it's a female. Congratulations on your new pet!

5. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    That's a domestic rabbit, I had similar ones show up in my yard. I caught them up and kept them [​IMG]

6. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    You should catch her and pen her up in a hutch or she will be dinner for someone.

7. Nat123

Nat123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Home Sweet Home
    Thank you for the responses!
    My husband thought it's domesticated also, but wasn't sure what breed it is. At first we thought it could be an American breed as we only saw the pic on one site that looks like the one we have in the backyard. We're thinking on keeping it. So it's a she and a Flemish Giant?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Aw, poor thing, she's trying so hard to make herself a nice, safe burrow to hide in. I'll add my vote that you keep her! That's what would happen at my house, of course. And yes, I'd get her installed in a comfy pen or hutch before something else makes dinner out of her. She's a pretty bun. Off you go to the feed store for some rabbit pellets and some hay! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by