A rainbow of Muscovies

Continuing to grow and change!
Only a few fuzzy ducklings left and a bunch are near fully feathered now. I think I am getting a good idea on genders, at least on my larger birds.

20180820_093000.jpg

Beautiful browns and holds, though the feathers are coming in black. I think the one on the right will be grey/copper barred.

20180820_091736.jpg

Puddle of ducks ♡

20180820_100657.jpg

One of my favourites and I do think she's a girl.

I am still doing my best not to get attached or pick anyone for sure.
As messy and poopy as these guys are, I'm going to miss their little faces. My husband is going to start processing the largest ones soon.

We processed our first muscovy yesterday! Planning a fancy dinner on Saturday.

It went well and I find I feel relieved this morning having started the elimination process. As it turns out 20 growing ducks produces so much poop and I'm kind of over that aspect. Really looking forward to just having 3 or 4 come end of fall.

We processed our first muscovy yesterday! Planning a fancy dinner on Saturday.

It went well and I find I feel relieved this morning having started the elimination process. As it turns out 20 growing ducks produces so much poop and I'm kind of over that aspect. Really looking forward to just having 3 or 4 come end of fall.
So you are keeping some and killing the rest?......

Haha I guess so! Seems rough putting it that way.

I feel really fortunate to be able to raise my own meat, I know they have been respected and loved on. Happy meat!
Oh yes!!! Just so you know I would not be able to do it....eating one of my ducks....but I do know that some people are fine with it. If it lead to life or death I guess I could eat my duck, but besides that...I will take a pass!

Oh yes!!! Just so you know I would not be able to do it....eating one of my ducks....but I do know that some people are fine with it. If it lead to life or death I guess I could eat my duck, but besides that...I will take a pass!

Totally understandable! The first time we processed one of our own chicken I didn't eat meat for 3 months. Growing our own meat has been quite the journey for me!

I wanted to just get a few ducks for eggs/to be my pets but my husband really likes duck meat, so here we are. I just have to wait to see who my pets end up being!! In the mean time I have a lot of duck love to give :)

Back
Top Bottom