a rat, a huge rat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ams3651, Aug 15, 2010.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I went to open the door to check on the broody, her eggs started hatching yesterday (a week before I thought they were due) and out stumbles a huge rat! I have never seen a rat on my property the 4 years I have been here! Well this thing was half dead already, those girls and Don must have kicked its a**. They were up on the roost, cackling away, Don was in fight mode. I finished it off with a broom handle and went directly to buy rat poison. Dont worry it will go under the coop (shed) well away from them. And I will be moving Violet and her chicks into the garage for a week or two. The 8 that hatched in May disappeared one by one, only 2 left. I blamed the neighbors cats but now its possible it was rats. YUK! I hate them!

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Sorry to hear that....make sure nothing can get to Violet in the garage either....maybe more rats...if you see one, chances are there are more.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That would have scared the living jeepers out of me. Whew

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Quote:I just let out a loud EEWWWWW and was just flabbershasted for a minute till I saw the broom handle, he was already moving pretty slow thanks to the girls and Don.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by