A real newbie question! Incubating for the first time. Help!

ashem0

Chirping
6 Years
May 12, 2013
Blue Mountains, Australia
This might sound rather dumb to some but if I don't ask I'll never know! ... do you count the moment you put the eggs in to the bator as day one or only after 24hrs??

I was thinking today would be day 0 and then the next day at the same time as today when I put them in, would technically be day 1 and moving into day 2....

And how long passed day 21 would you let an egg go before turning off the bator and counting your losses? 23? 24? 25? I imagine if I candled them at this stage it would be pretty conclusive?

Thanks for your thoughts.
frow.gif

This might sound rather dumb to some but if I don't ask I'll never know! ... do you count the moment you put the eggs in to the bator as day one or only after 24hrs??

I was thinking today would be day 0 and then the next day at the same time as today when I put them in, would technically be day 1 and moving into day 2....

And how long passed day 21 would you let an egg go before turning off the bator and counting your losses? 23? 24? 25? I imagine if I candled them at this stage it would be pretty conclusive?

Thanks for your thoughts.
frow.gif
No question is dumb :p It's been a long time since I have incubated eggs but here's what I recall lol you might want to wait until someone more 'experienced' comes along :D
I do consider day one once 24 hours have passed. To answer your second question, they almost always hatch before day 21 but if some haven't then I would leave them for about 2 or 3 more days and check if there's any chirping or movement before tossing them. Sometimes you can candle and look around the area of the air sac and see if they move.

x2 on the above. Day 1 is the first 24 hours, day 2 the second and so forth. My hatches usually start on day 21, sometimes sooner, sometimes later, and continue over the next 2-3 days. If you still have unhatched chicks by day 24 candle the eggs and hold them against your ear and tap them softly with your fingernail. If there's a live chick in there you should be able to hear it move/cheep.

Back
Top Bottom