1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A red headed parrot finch hatched this morning!!!

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by onthespot, Apr 26, 2009.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have had these birds for three years now, and they are finally getting busy and breeding. There has been a clutch here and there, some eggs abandoned from time to time, and I hand raised a clutch once, but really, nothing to speak of. Well right now I have three hens setting tight on eggs, one in the process of laying in a newly built nest, and another pair apparently does not care for the selection of nest boxes and finch baskets because yesterday they built a huge pile on the floor of the cage, (which is five feet off the ground, so to them it is still up in the air) just a free standing pile of coconut fiber ball in the corner of the cage!!! I hope I get a bumper crop of parrot finches. I have pied, and normal and seagreen pieds in there, all nesting and breeding, about a dozen birds in all in a community flight. I am so excited. Usually they will have two or three clutches back to back then take a break for the summer (according to "the internet" which we all know is a coin toss) but anyhow, just wanted to announce! New BABY!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What beautiful birds! Where is the new baby?

3. GORGEOUS! I have never seen parrot finches before, they are just beautiful!
    Congrats!

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Beautiful birds! There are so many interesting kinds of finches. It always amazes me when I see them.

I can't wait to see pictures of the babies!

5. Missouri Maiden

Missouri Maiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    oooo pretty! [​IMG]

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    The baby is in the nest box. I'm not jinxing anything by handling them. I just stuck my finger in there to check if anything has hatched. Now that I know one has, I will leave them be and just let them do their thing unless I hear hungry cries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by