A red headed parrot finch hatched this morning!!!

onthespot

Deluxe Dozens
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Riverside/Norco, CA
I have had these birds for three years now, and they are finally getting busy and breeding. There has been a clutch here and there, some eggs abandoned from time to time, and I hand raised a clutch once, but really, nothing to speak of. Well right now I have three hens setting tight on eggs, one in the process of laying in a newly built nest, and another pair apparently does not care for the selection of nest boxes and finch baskets because yesterday they built a huge pile on the floor of the cage, (which is five feet off the ground, so to them it is still up in the air) just a free standing pile of coconut fiber ball in the corner of the cage!!! I hope I get a bumper crop of parrot finches. I have pied, and normal and seagreen pieds in there, all nesting and breeding, about a dozen birds in all in a community flight. I am so excited. Usually they will have two or three clutches back to back then take a break for the summer (according to "the internet" which we all know is a coin toss) but anyhow, just wanted to announce! New BABY!!!
finches.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful birds! There are so many interesting kinds of finches. It always amazes me when I see them.

I can't wait to see pictures of the babies!

The baby is in the nest box. I'm not jinxing anything by handling them. I just stuck my finger in there to check if anything has hatched. Now that I know one has, I will leave them be and just let them do their thing unless I hear hungry cries.

Back
Top Bottom