A Return to Chickens in North Carolina

Toozler

Hatching
Dec 2, 2015
I started raising black cochin bantams and grey calls back in junior high school in New York state and gave them away when I went to college (the boy who took them is now a full time farmer). Fast forward 47 years and we recently acquired 5 EE chicks from a local hatchery near us in Raleigh, NC. They are 4 weeks old and hopefully all pullets. I've enjoyed reading some of the old Backyard Chicken posts on sexing EE chicks and from information I've taken from them, I think that there's a good chance that my hopes may be true.

The main concern I have at the moment is moving the chicks to their outdoor coop - probably in January. I figure I'll transition them by first putting them outside on days with good weather and bring them in at nights, and wait for some moderate nights to start leaving them out. I don't want to use any heaters in the coop. Any advice about transitioning them outdoors in the middle of winter would be appreciated. Our winters usually don't involve more than a dusting or two of snow, but we can expect freezing temperatures for many nights, and some days from Dec. - March.

Looking forward to reading more posts and gaining more knowledge from the collective brain of backyard chickens.

Jim H.

Hi :welcome Jim

Glad you could join us here! Lovely to hear you have gotten back into keeping chickens after many years away. Once your birds are fully feathered you should be able to start weaning them off the heat and once they are fully off they should be ok to stay in their coop. As long as it's draft free, dry and well ventilated they should be ok. You could drop by your state thread for other keepers near to you. I'm sure they would be able to help too with their methods. State threads can be found here ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. NorthFlChick has given you some good advice. Feathers are wonderful insulators and moisture is a much greater danger than cold. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi Jim, very nice to meet you. You may find you have chicken folks for neighbors if you post on your state thread - Put "North Carolina thread." in the search box and it should pop up. Welcome to the BYC flock.

welcome-byc.gif

Hope you continue to have a wonderful time here! We're glad to have you join us!

Back
Top Bottom