A Rooster in the Hen House

Okay, that was a little sloppy, sorry new to this. The top picture is, we think, the Java, next Ameraucana, last Jersey Giant. Hope everyone can see their legs. It's hard to take pics of them as they never stay in one place for long, may have to just grab them and take photos while holding them!

First one is a pullet, but the last two are both roosters. For only 9 weeks old the last two have big red combs and wattles. Sorry.
sad.png

Am I seeing gold leakage on the first one? If so, she's a Black Sexlink pullet.
smile.png

Yep, last 2 are definitely boys! Your Ameraucana (Easter Egger? Where did you get him?) is pretty! I love EE's Am's!

Okay, so we're sure that the EE is an EE rooster? Well, we got him in Yucaipa, CA. We only paid $2.00 for him and he is very pretty and sweet and huge! Such a bummer he's a he and not a she, can't keep him due to city regulations, so he will soon be off to a new home (hopefully)!
big_smile.png

we got 7 new chicks in april. they were all supposed to be pullets, so imagine my surprise when i went out to care for them yesterday and two of them crowed at me! OOOPS! we have 14 one year old hens and now 5 (we hope) new pullets. we have them to sell eggs so i haven't researched anything about roosters, fertile eggs, broody hens, hatching chicks, etc.
do i need to worry about the eggs being obviously fertile when selling them? what if we decide to let a hen hatch some. how do we go about that? how can i tell if a broody hen is sitting on fertile eggs to hatch or unfertile eggs that i want to gather and sell? can the roo stay with all of the ladies all of the time or should he sometimes be separated? when will he be of an age to begin mating? one roo is an easter egger and the other is a buff. our hens are rhode island reds, and striped plymouth rocks, easter eggers and buffs. i'm picturing some motley looking babies from these matings.
sorry to sound so clueless, but these cocks in the henhouse have really thrown me. thanks for any help!!

Back
Top Bottom