A Rooster in the Hen House

burbankchix

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
California
Well, we started out with 16 chicks, all of which were supposed to be hens. Yesterday at 6am we were awakened to an alarming sound - crowing by one of them. It went on for about 15 minutes. This morning "he" only crowed 3 times and then went silent. We only got them on June 11th, so the sound isn't that loud and now we are trying to figure out who is the culprit and find him a new home. We are not allowed roosters in our town. Does anyone know a sure way at this age to tell a rooster from a hen? HELP!
D.gif
:cd:cd:cd:cd

If you post a pic we could tell for you
wink.png

Try playing a crow from YouTube. He could crow back. Also look for saddle and hackle feathers... pointy feathers on the neck and back near the tail. The tail feathers will be longer and pointier. What breed are your chickens?

The rooster will stand taller and will probably show some signs of dominance or aggresion... you may see mounting. Hens have also been known to crow... or so I've heard.
roll.png

Good Luck
smile.png

What age are they? Although young roosters may not have all of this, roosters have a bigger comb and waddles, a larger curved tail, a taller stance, thicker legs, and brighter and pointier feathers, especially around the neck and saddle. It would help if you posted a pic.
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

Pictures!!!

A roo will have thicker legs, the pointier neck and saddle feathers as mentioned, and depending on the breed are usually different colored than the hens. What breed(s) do you have? Look for the one who is more colorful, redder comb/wattles.

Or, according to many folks here, just depend on it being the friendliest, your kid's favorite
wink.png

Well, since we are "new eggs" here on the site, I have been unable to post pictures until maybe now?! I just went to 11 posts, so I will try to go out and take pics. Since we have 16 chicks (9 1/2 weeks old), and all different colors, we know most of them. We are confused about the following: Black Jersey Giant, Black Ameraucana (or Easter Egger or whatever), and a Mottled Java. These three look so much alike, except the Java (if that's what she really is) is a little smaller. The Black Jersey Giant(?) has black legs and yellow feet bottoms, the Ameracana(?) has yellow legs with a slight black tinge coming down the front, and Java(?) hasblack/blue legs.

Our easy ones are: Buff Brahma, Light Brahma, Delaware, White Silkie Bantam, Buff Orpington, 2 Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rock, Barnevelder, Black Copper Maran, Black Cochin Bantam, White Crested Black Polish, Reddish Brown Ameraucana.

I have just downloaded some pictures, I hope they are somewhat clear and some of you chicken experts can help us out!!! They are 9 1/2 weeks old.

Okay, next problem, I don't see an attachment or picture icon to add pics....is it somewhere else? EEEEKKK

Thanks everybody.

Okay, I just went to uploads and posted 3 pictures, I have no idea where they ended up. One chicken, the smallest has bluish/black legs, one great big one has puffy cheek feathers has black/blue (?) legs, and the other monster chicken has yellow legs with a black smear down the front. Two are huge, one is smaller. We are clueless in Burbank, but we know one of these has to be a boy. I took a lot of pictures of them all today, legs, feet, etc. I checked their neck feathers for long pointy vs. short curved ones, and quite honestly they all look the same to me. Maybe because they are only 9+ weeks old, but if these 2 big black ones were at a chicken company, they'd already be in the market under "roaster".

Back
Top Bottom