A rooster showed up on our porch last Sunday -- what do we do?

Of course not, but I thought that was only because you get more attached once they're named. Not naming them doesn't mean they're incapable of learning to come when called.

Quote:

We have a dog kennal we keep our chickens in at night because of cat issues. Id build one of those small tracters, I used to let my chickens run lose until the neighbor's dogs got a couple.

Hello,

I registered here because last Sunday a beautiful rooster showed up on our front porch. After some investigation, we found that he had been abandoned by his previous owner who had moved without him.

We live on the outskirts of the city--not really country but not the 'burbs either, so having a rooster is not a big deal around here.

My question is, how do we take care of the little guy?

We have a large backyard, but that is the domain of Django, my psychotically territorial Boxer. So, the rooster lives on the front porch and the front yard. He spends the night in a tree in the yard. But, during the day he wonders around the yard and porch. I worry for his safety.

We bought him a bag of chicken feed which he likes a lot and keep a bowl of fresh water out at all times.

I would like to build him a coop, but am not sure how to go about building one small enough for just him (he is small -- I think ya'll would call him a "bantam"). All the designs for coops I see are for several chickens.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. Please understand we know NOTHING about caring for a rooster.

My wife has just fallen in love with the little guy, so giving him away would be tough to do.

Thanks!

Oh Boy are you in trouble, run, do not walk away, PLZ for your own sanity, just back away from the keyboard go to your main electrical breaker & shut down the power to the entire house. Go buy yourself a bird cage and start brainwashing yourself that he is an exotic parrot.

Trust me on this, sure you can scrounge the materials for the coop, sure you could augment their feed with table scraps. Did I say they yes because you cant just have a rooster. You now need hens for his harem, you want him to be happy dont you? Now that you have roosters & hens you will probably end up getting chicks......see how this works?

I told you why are you still here?
This is exactly what happened to us! First, the rescue rooster, then the three hens, then, "Wouldn't it be fun to hatch some eggs?" A year later, there are 27 chickens running around the yard and 14 ducks (if you don't count the ones that just hatched), and 23 more chickens in addition to those that already went to friends.... 🤣

Back
Top Bottom