A sad morning...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Eggnonymous, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Eggnonymous

Eggnonymous Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Carroll County, GA
    Got the call from our P.O. a little while ago and all my ducklings arrived dead. He was concerned when he didn't hear any sound and was going to give them some water if needed. How could this happen?! I didn't have a problem with my chicks a year ago and it was earlier in the year. Those poor sweet babies. I won't mention the hatchery yet since they are one of the most popular. We'll see what happens next. I am wondering how I'm going to explain this to my kids - especially my DD who is very tenderhearted. Guess I'll go take the brooder down in the laundry room, sigh....

BTW, they were 10 WH

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Someone else just posted that their Meyer ducks also didn't make it through shipping.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    [​IMG] Two so far this morning... I wonder if there has been a sudden cold snap somewhere along the journey- and if you are anywhere near the other member who also had a sad call from the post office this morning.

It doesnt matter what hatchery they came from- shipping day old ducklings is never without its risks. Im sure they have all lost shipments- big and small. I am so sorry this has happened to you- but like I suggested to the other member- contact the hatchery to tell them what has happened- and try and find ducklings somewhere closer to home rather than take the risk of more little lives again.

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

2nd Post I read and another batch of dead ducklings... So sorry for your loss too [​IMG]

5. Meyer Hatchery

Meyer Hatchery Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Polk, Ohio
    We did experience a horrible loss this week. The truck that many of our ducklings were on was randomly inspected at the scale. There was some sort of mechanical problem and the truck was forced to sit idle for some time. They weren't allowed, for some reason, to provide ventilation and many duck perished as a result. We are deeply sorry for loss and the numerous hearts broken because of this tragic event.

If you or someone you know, received a duck order this week with losses, please call us at 1-888-568-9755 so that we may schedule a reshipment of ducks.

Again, we apologize for the tragic circumstances and hope you will give us the opportunity to ship you the ducklings you were looking forward to.

6. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
  7. Eggnonymous

Eggnonymous Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Carroll County, GA
    Quote:That is kind of you Meyer, however, I did not place my order through your hatchery. Thank you for noticing and caring.

8. Meyer Hatchery

May 21, 2010
    Polk, Ohio
    We are sure that the hatchery you ordered from feels the same way! We were not the only ones effected this week. Again, sorry for your loss. It's never an easy thing to deal with.

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Meyer, did you still deliver dead ducklings, or did you take them back to your facility?

10. Meyer Hatchery

May 21, 2010
    Polk, Ohio
    Quote:Meyer, did you still deliver dead ducklings, or did you take them back to your facility?

Unfortunately, we had no idea that there was a problem until our customers started reporting the losses to us. The overwhelming number of orders being reported as total losses clued us in that something went way wrong, so we started digging deeper. That's when we figured out that the truck incident was the common issue in all of these orders. So, we had no way of stopping the dead ducklings from being delivered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by