A sad story, with a happy ending! (Photos of our new goslings!)

We do have animal control, and I did call them. However, he MAY get away with it, per a Wisconsin farming law. All he'd have to say is that he is raising them for slaughter, and then he gets away scott free. :mad: The law states that as long as an animal intended for slaughter is raised "humanely" and in a "safe living environment"...thats all they need. Also, if they checked and saw no food, he could get away with that too (if he's smart enough) by saying they are fed at certain times to avoid them over eating.

And I guess that could have been the case, although I dont know. If you came to my place you would see my Cornish without food all night. However, they have a 3 gallon water jug that is always filled with fresh water, a large enclosure that gives them some room to move around, and they are sheltered from the glariing sun in our barn, and now even have their own HUGE exhaust fan blowing on them to keep them cool.

I was just so shocked by the differences between the little geese and my duckies. I suppose had I not had the ducklings, the differences would not have been so striking and appearant.

Other than size and color abnormalities, they seem fairly healthy. I was worried about the tiniest one the first day, but now she seems strong and has fight left in her. She is spunky and fiesty, and (though small) she still throws her weight around by chasing the chicks away from "HER" pool!

To anyone here with goslings or geese.....will a tiny baby ever get its size, or is the little one most likely stunted? Will they get their bill and leg color back with some good food, fresh clean water, and sun exposure, or is there something else they will need? Is there anything more that I can do for them?

Good for you and best of luck with your new babies! I am so glad they are adapting to a happier life with you! Hopefully, the word will spread and all of those poor animals will get adopted into good homes. That man should be caged himself! I guess maybe Wisconsin is a little to far to travel from upstate NY or I would definitely come and adopt some too!

4H Mom I have geese and ducks and have found alot of information on this site [email protected]. One of the members William (tradeship1) has a goose rescue group I have found he can answer just about any question concerning your birds. He handles injured and abandoned birds daily and has alot of sound advise. Hope this helps Micki

4H- They did wander about and went back at dusk and wander out again this morning without any shooing on my part! Gus ALREADY looks better! The feathers on his chest look new, healthy, fresh and kind of fluffly. His beak and feet are already turning a vibrant orange, and he just seems calm and content. It warms my heart.

clap.gif
You two guys are AWESOME!!!! I'm soooo glad you discovered this place and were able to give at least a few a wonderful new home!! And, if you contact the goose rescue guy (that micki in the post above mentioned), I bet he has connections where you're at! Wouldn't hurt to ask! Can't wait to see the "after" pictures. The ones you posted are just so heart warming! God bless you!!!!

Ellen

Thanks bird lover!
big_smile.png

Barb, I am so glad to hear that Gus is feeling better and doing well there. I talked to a few goose people here in town and sadly, the littlest ones growth may be permenantly stunted.
hmm.png
But that is if it is really 5 weeks old, and not more like 2 weeks old. I'm hoping he just didnt know what he was talking about and its really younger than he said. But on a good note, DH says there is no way we could eat them after what they've gone through.
big_smile.png
He says they have a forever home here. BUT, he still wants a few geese in the freezer, so I'll need to order some....will your feed store have any extras come in with your order tomorrow? Let me know! lol

While I definately give Kudos for hearts being compassionate............

the reality is that buying from this man (and others like him) only enables the cruelty to continue.
sad.png

On THAT note, if 4H wouldn't have stumbled upon him and his "farm", nobody (at least in her circle) would know what was going on. AND she called animal control who MAY or may not do something about it. And her point- we were able to save a few. This experience also just spreads awareness of these situations and lets ppl know that animal cruelty and neglect ARE realities and exist right in our neighborhoods. It's not just something that we see on tv or hear about through the grapevine and there are things that we(good ppl in general) can do to make changes. Adopting Gus and seeing him thrive happily cements my values and brings us joy. "Us" including Gus. Nobody is going to make me feel guilty about what I've done. Not that I'm insinuating that anyone suggested guilt.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom