A sad story, with a happy ending! (Photos of our new goslings!)

Just wanted to say I am glad you saved those babies!

I looked *every*where for goslings, and could never find any or order any. If I were closer (Florida is a long way unfortunately) I'd be there are save a few myself.

I hope they are having a great time and getting fatter and happier as we speak.
smile.png

Thanks for sharing, and I love the photos! Looking forward to the "after" too.

trish

The goslings are doing GREAT! The little African has nice dark black feet and bill now and the littlest one is getting plump on all the fresh greens they forage all day.
smile.png

I have been talking to people in town and so far they've "adopted" all of this guys Emus and peacocks. He still has a ton of chickens, ducks, and geese. Oh, and 30 or so pygmy goats. One lady I know rescued 3 of his pygmys and a goose. My DH wants me to go back out this week and rescue the rest of the baby geese, even if we can't keep them all. At least I can fatten them up and get the fit and healthy and then find new homes for them.

Good job on rescuing those birds! If I was closer, I would love to help!

The color on the geese look fine to me though and the size of the chinese isn't too bad. I have an african and a Toulouse about the same age and the toulouse has a pinkish colored bill and spotted looking feet. I think they should be fine with a little TLC;)

I love watching them. Everyday they seem stronger and healthier, and ultimatly happier. I love watching them munch grass and clover like its going out of style! I love watching the tough little African chase the little chicks away from HIS pool! I'm so enjoying this!

The little Chinese has "puffed" out a little from a few days of good feed, fresh grass, and clean water. It doesn't look so small in comparison now!
big_smile.png
Their bills are no longer 'peeling' and they are all getting some new feathers in. I am so happy that I could get them out of that h**lhole and give them a better life. I may not do it perfectly cuz I am BRAND NEW to ducks and geese, but I sure can do it WAY better than this jerk did.

We just started diggin their pond and we decided halfway through that it wasnt quite BIG enough, so we've expanded it to roughly 7 feet by 9 feet. I've rigged up a great filter with cotton, carbon, and the ammonia rocks and it works wonderfully. The 'clean' end of the water cycle will come up through some rocks we're putting as a little 'waterfall'. I plan to through some minnows or other small fish in for the ducks and geese to munch on every now and then.

Oh, and I learned that waterfowl are really good bug catchers, toad eaters, and mousers. Right now, the little ones are enjoying the tiny mice that scurry in from the corn fields.
tongue.png
Its kinda goofy to see a tiny duck with this huge lump in its throat and then as you're looking at it, the 'lump' wiggles....... can you say EEEWWW lol

That is sooooo COOL!!!!!! (Except for the mouse story! :eek: ) So, did you decide to go get the rest of the goslings this week?? Say yes! Say yes!
fl.gif

Ellen

Yup! DH is INSISTING that I go and take every baby duck and goose he has!
big_smile.png
I'm going to go out there again on either Tuesday or Wednesday. I will deffinately post photos of the newcommers too!

Kudos to you, 4H mom and Barb! Regardless of "feeding" that guy's business. It's important to help the critters now, as animal control may or may not help anytime soon. If I were closer, I'd take all of the guineas. Unfortunately, a six hour drive wouldn't fly with hubby and I'd hate to ship the dears after all they've been through.

Back
Top Bottom